The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan

The Gathering Storm

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (12)

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. Meanwhile, Egwene al'Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is being held captive by the White Tower. Knowing the Seanchan attack is imminent, she fights to hold the Aes Sedai together in an epic contest that will prove the mettle of her followers and will decide the future of the White Tower---and possibly the world itself. The first of three novels that will make up "A Memory of Light" and mark the conclusion of the Wheel of Time.… (more)
    The Unremembered by Peter Orullian (chaos012)
    chaos012: If you want something like this but in a fresh new world try this

English (100)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (102)
After lying dormant for a time while I was catching up on some podcasts and generally didn't have any long commutes, I finally had a few hours of time on my hands today and finished the audiobook (yay for long trip long waiting time another long trip cooking).

It is kind of hard to rate this book now, as it has been such a long time since I started it (looking at the dates, it appearently was only a month, but it sure feels like more). Still, I could talk about the characters, but that would have spoilers. I could talk about the world, the story, the awesome descriptions, but that would all also include spoilers.

So, it all boils down to these two things: There were scenes where I had goosebumps. And the "I don't want it to end"-feeling has just set in. Two whole books before the series ends.

On that basis alone, I'll give this one five stars. Sanderson really did a stellar job, as I expected, without the book feeling too different from the previous books. All changes I noticed have been for the better. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Wheel of Time #12 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
With all due respect to Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson taking over this series was definitely a good thing. He was able to get it back on track with clear direction and little filler, something that hasn't been present since around book 6. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Sanderson fixes everything that was wrong with Jordan's writing while leaving everything wonderful about the series intact. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 6, 2019 |
There was an understandable amount of fanfare around the release of 'The Gathering Storm'. Jordan's death in 2007 left many fans wondering if they would ever see the end of the beloved series. The announcement that Brandon Sanderson would finish the series was a relief - though I had never heard of him - and anticipation began building. 'Knife of Dreams' had began the process of moving the many and varied story-lines back towards the single arc of the march towards the Last Battle. 'The Gathering Storm' reaps the benefit of that with two killer story arcs.

Rand has been trapped in his flesh case of emotion ever since his capture and beating at the hands of Elaida's Aes Sedai. He has been moving ever more towards hardness and retreats further from any hope of a life after confronting the Dark One. As he moves into Arad Doman to head off the Seanchan and attempt to repair the kingdom that has arguably suffered the most at the hands of the Forsaken, he is about to be pushed beyond the brink. Cadsuane, Nynaeve, and Min can do little but watch, and Aviendha is dealing with her own problems and avoids Rand, which probably doesn't help his situation. He has an interesting meeting with Tuon, now at the helm of the Seanchan Empire.

Egwene, however, is one hundred percent winning the game all the time. Her imprisonment in the White Tower continues to work to her advantage. Siuan, Gareth Bryne, and, shockingly, Gawyn along with some back-up singer Aes Sedai POVs lead up to a satisfying climax to the divided White Tower story-line. Just imagine me gushing for several paragraphs. I loved every minute of it.

Plain and simple - this is the best overall book since 'The Shadow Rising', a bit ironic seeing as how the breakout star of that book - Mat Cauthon - is the sole liability of 'The Gathering Storm'.

On my first read of the book when it came out I didn't really notice the discrepancy in Mat's character - he had never been a favorite, and there is too much awesome going on elsewhere in these pages - but on this reread with everything being experienced so close together the difference was glaring.

Sanderson does an excellent job of continuing the story that Jordan left behind, but he's not funny and his attempt to conjure Mat's 'wool-headed' conception of women came off as misogyny rather than charmingly naive. That opening diatribe at the opening appearance of his character was almost painful.

But, I never did mind about the little things.

Wrapping up, there is very little Perrin here - he examines some wagons - and Faile takes care of some business. Thom is with Mat and holding on that letter of his....

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'Towers of Midnight'

Previous: 'New Spring' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 23, 2019 |
This book flows at breakneck speed and is hard to put down once you get into it. With action scenes coming quickly and having lasting results, the book keeps the reader on the edge of his seat, waiting to see what will come next.

By the end of the story, I had a warm, satisfied feeling about what I had just read. After letting the book sink in, I began to speculate about what might come next and started to theorize about what certain scenes, images and allusions truly meant.

The book's culmination is enthralling and a challenge to put down as the pace increases exponentially with each chapter. Nevertheless, the battle scenes were not as engrossing as those in the previous 11 books. Sanderson does not rely on the action to push the plot, choosing instead to use internal conflicts to maintain interest.

"The Gathering Storm" is the best installment in the Wheel of Time series since the third novel, "The Dragon Reborn," and will not leave fans disappointed.
added by IslandDave | editDeseret News, Seth Bracken (Nov 29, 2009)

Brandon Sanderson, the fantasy writer Jordan’s wife selected to finish the tale of the Dragon Reborn and his battle against the Dark One, has an unenviable task; working from Jordan’s extensive notes, he has to somehow bring nearly 20 years worth of plotting and a cast of hundreds to a conclusion that won’t disappoint. But The Gathering Storm makes a solid start.
added by jlelliott | editThe A.V. Club, Zack Handlen (Nov 19, 2009)

For my part, even aside from scenes (agh!) of awesome awesomeing (*clapclap*), I may not be entirely sure how I feel about some of what happened in The Gathering Storm, whether it was Jordan’s work or Sanderson’s but there is no doubt that I’m damn glad they wrote it.

And I’m damn glad I got to read it.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Leigh Butler (Oct 23, 2009)

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravens and crows. Rats. Mists and clouds. Insects and corruption. Strange events and odd occurrences. The ordinary twisted and strange. Wonders!

The dead are beginning to walk, and some see them. Others do not, but more and more, we all fear the night.

These have been our days. They rain upon us beneath a dead sky, crushing us with their fury, until as one we beg: "Let it begin!"

—Journal of the Unknown Scholar, entry for The Feast of Freia, 1000 NE
At the end of time,
when the many become one,
the last storm shall gather its angry winds
to destroy a land already dying.
And at its center,
the blind man shall stand
upon his own grave.
There he shall see again,
and weep for what has been wrought.

—from The Prophecies of the Dragon,
Essanik Cycle. Malhavish's
Official Translation, Imperial
Recorde House of Seandar,
Fourth Circle of Elevation.
For Maria Simons and Alan Romanczuk,
without whom this book wouldn't have been possible.
Renald Fanwar sat on his porch, warming the sturdy blackoak chair crafted for him by his grandson two years before.
"I'm not giving up gambling," Mat muttered. "Or drinking."
"So I believe you've told me," Talmanes said. "Three or four times so far. I half believe that if I were to peek into your tent at night, I'd find you mumbling it in your sleep. 'I'm going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where's my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?'" (p. 317)

Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, looms. And mankind is not ready. Rand al'Thor struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle, as his allies watch in terror the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself. Egwene al'Vere is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. She works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai, as the days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower - and possibly the world itself. The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow . . .
Regalo di addio di Silvio !

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,819,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible