Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Gathering Storm

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (12)

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. Meanwhile, Egwene al'Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is being held captive by the White Tower. Knowing the Seanchan attack is imminent, she fights to hold the Aes Sedai together in an epic contest that will prove the mettle of her followers and will decide the future of the White Tower---and possibly the world itself. The first of three novels that will make up "A Memory of Light" and mark the conclusion of the Wheel of Time.… (more)
Recently added byrhinus, renardeu, private library, mpark6288, jrob236, Schmids, drwilko, clickingfrog, Manveer
    The Unremembered by Peter Orullian (chaos012)
    chaos012: If you want something like this but in a fresh new world try this

English (106)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (108)
Truly amazing! This book has a complete different pace, which was much needed. Sanderson did a great job! Apart from the faster pacing it did not feel that much different from Jordan. I don't know how to describe this book other than to say it was intense, epic and also quite emotional. Can't wait to read the final two books!

Ratings:- ( )
  ShreyasDeshpande | Oct 24, 2020 |
SPOILER WARNING:
I had this book for about 12 months before reading it. Just enjoying the cover art, thinking about the possibilities, stretching out the consumption for as long as possible so as to minimise the wait for the big finale. Awesome read, after investing 15 years of my imagination into this series its great to finally get some pay off! I don't know if it's the change in writers or if the story is just finally coming to a head, but there's some big events here that keep those pages turning madly. The stand outs for me were the breaking and remaking of the White Tower, the rise of Egwene al'Vere-the quintessential country girl-into the heights of bureaucratic & political power, the awesome wielding of the One Power and the True Power, the confrontation between Rand al'Thor and Semihrage that sends him to the edge of madness and his existential crises afterward; coming to a head whilst wielding enough power to level the world in a heartbeat. Reminiscent of Albert Camus and the philosophical idea of the absurd, what a wonderful moment when Rand decides to live and discovers his motivation for doing so. Contemplating the line by Tam al'Thor that for most men its not about having a choice over 'what' it is you must do, but choosing 'why' you do it, that gives your life meaning. I loved the scene with Tam al'Thor despite the fact that it didn't go smoothly, I found it nostalgic, moving, and oddly compelling... the juxtaposition of the old and new, the Freudian moment as the son overpowers the father and becomes a man in his own right, now ready to face his responsibilities and make his peace with the world...
  NickCosta | Jun 17, 2020 |
A story worth reading

From the get go The Gathering Storm seemed to be one of the great books in the series... It did not dissapoint. This book brings back a lot of scenes from the earlier entries which is great as it allows you to remember how much have our young heroes grown.

We finally see a conclusion to many of the storylines that had been dragging for many books. And oh my how did these end! Spoilers below

...

Masema, Verin, the rebel Aes Sedai, Elaida, Garret & Siuan, Graendal (?)... So many loose ends tied.

...

Egwene's encounter against the Seanchan was the epic consummation of my official liking of this character whom I only started to really like in book 11. Her development in this book is enough for me to like her as a character now. Not only does she display maturity, patience, control... She's a total badass... I got goosebumps reading about her second night serving Elaida... And her quick thinking during the Seanchan raid!!! She rocked this book...

Rand Al'Thor... He got very big developments... His second encounter with Sehmirage brought him to the brink of destruction... We see a Rand overwhelmed by the weight of his duty... The end, while a bit on the cheesy end was beautifully written. The emotion, the stakes... It was a personal struggle that somehow felt as epic as his encounters with the Forsaken... He had the most difficult battle so far... The battle against his own soul... And love won. Beautiful.

This is one of my top 3 now... There with Shadow Rising and The Fires of Heaven. ( )
  Miguel.Arvelo | Jun 9, 2020 |
Rereading the last few books I preparation for the ebook of A Memory of Light. This book is where it starts to get good again! ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
Brandon Sanderson ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

finalmente la versione svecchiata!!!
addio descrizioni di vestiti lunghi 3 pagine e
addio a commenti sessisti ogni 15 righe
soddisfatta ( )
  SamanthaRaciti | Feb 25, 2020 |
This book flows at breakneck speed and is hard to put down once you get into it. With action scenes coming quickly and having lasting results, the book keeps the reader on the edge of his seat, waiting to see what will come next.

By the end of the story, I had a warm, satisfied feeling about what I had just read. After letting the book sink in, I began to speculate about what might come next and started to theorize about what certain scenes, images and allusions truly meant.

The book's culmination is enthralling and a challenge to put down as the pace increases exponentially with each chapter. Nevertheless, the battle scenes were not as engrossing as those in the previous 11 books. Sanderson does not rely on the action to push the plot, choosing instead to use internal conflicts to maintain interest.

"The Gathering Storm" is the best installment in the Wheel of Time series since the third novel, "The Dragon Reborn," and will not leave fans disappointed.
added by IslandDave | editDeseret News, Seth Bracken (Nov 29, 2009)

Brandon Sanderson, the fantasy writer Jordan’s wife selected to finish the tale of the Dragon Reborn and his battle against the Dark One, has an unenviable task; working from Jordan’s extensive notes, he has to somehow bring nearly 20 years worth of plotting and a cast of hundreds to a conclusion that won’t disappoint. But The Gathering Storm makes a solid start.
added by jlelliott | editThe A.V. Club, Zack Handlen (Nov 19, 2009)

For my part, even aside from scenes (agh!) of awesome awesomeing (*clapclap*), I may not be entirely sure how I feel about some of what happened in The Gathering Storm, whether it was Jordan’s work or Sanderson’s but there is no doubt that I’m damn glad they wrote it.

And I’m damn glad I got to read it.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Leigh Butler (Oct 23, 2009)

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravens and crows. Rats. Mists and clouds. Insects and corruption. Strange events and odd occurrences. The ordinary twisted and strange. Wonders!

The dead are beginning to walk, and some see them. Others do not, but more and more, we all fear the night.

These have been our days. They rain upon us beneath a dead sky, crushing us with their fury, until as one we beg: "Let it begin!"

—Journal of the Unknown Scholar, entry for The Feast of Freia, 1000 NE
At the end of time,
when the many become one,
the last storm shall gather its angry winds
to destroy a land already dying.
And at its center,
the blind man shall stand
upon his own grave.
There he shall see again,
and weep for what has been wrought.

—from The Prophecies of the Dragon,
Essanik Cycle. Malhavish's
Official Translation, Imperial
Recorde House of Seandar,
Fourth Circle of Elevation.
For Maria Simons and Alan Romanczuk,
without whom this book wouldn't have been possible.
Renald Fanwar sat on his porch, warming the sturdy blackoak chair crafted for him by his grandson two years before.
"I'm not giving up gambling," Mat muttered. "Or drinking."
"So I believe you've told me," Talmanes said. "Three or four times so far. I half believe that if I were to peek into your tent at night, I'd find you mumbling it in your sleep. 'I'm going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where's my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?'" (p. 317)

Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, looms. And mankind is not ready. Rand al'Thor struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle, as his allies watch in terror the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself. Egwene al'Vere is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. She works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai, as the days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower - and possibly the world itself. The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow . . .
Regalo di addio di Silvio !

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,508,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible