The Wall and the Wing

by Laura Ruby

Series: The Wall and the Wing (book 1)

In a future New York where most people can fly and cats are a rarity, a nondescript resident of Hope House for the Homeless and Hopeless discovers that although she is shunned as a "leadfoot," she has the surprising ability to become invisible.

Very satisfying; slightly predictable but charmingly executed. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 28, 2022 |
For a teen book discussion. A world where (most) people can fly and every century or so, one child is born who can turn invisible. Cats are rare, orphanages are stereotypical horrible places run by a sadistic matron, and mechanical monkeys hold children's memories. All wrapped up with a couple of bland characters (one actively annoying, the other just dull) and tied with a kind of humor that is funny at first, but you hate yourself for laughing because that just encourages it and it never lets up. Maybe if I were 12 I'd enjoy this kind of never-lets-up wackiness, but it's not well-used and grates on the nerves after just a few pages.

Tepid at best, and I hope to god they don't vote to read the sequel. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is really one of my favorite books! It is very interesting to see what goes on in the life of an orphan that can't remeber any of her past. I liked this book because almost nothing in the book can actually happen in real life. I mean who doesn't wish that they could fly or become invisible. I think that The Wall and The Wing is a really great read for someone who has a lot of of imagination. ( )
  TSchlinky | Oct 14, 2009 |
  Mry | May 17, 2008 |
Fantastic.

Wonderful, consistant characters, a brilliant futuristic setting, hilarious situations and descriptions -- This book was a merry adventure. ( )
  Nymphadora | May 15, 2007 |

Laura Rubyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dorman, BrandonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,682,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible