Fight Club [1999 film]

by David Fincher (Director), Jim Uhls (Screenwriter)

Other authors: Helena Bonham Carter (Actor), Jared Leto (Actor), Meat Loaf (Actor), Edward Norton (Actor), Brad Pitt (Actor)

A confused young man tired of his life finds a new one in a new club where you beat each other to a plup as therapy.

A ticking-time-bomb insomniac and a slippery soap salesman channel primal male aggression into a shocking new form of therapy. Their concept catches on, with underground "fight clubs" forming in every town, until an eccentric gets in the way and ignites an out-of-control spiral toward oblivion. (source: TMDb)
  aptrvideo | Jan 14, 2021 |

Meat Loaf – Robert ‘Bob’ Paulsen
Zach Grenier – Richard Chesler

Screenplay by Jim Uhls, based on the novel (1996) by Chuck Palahniuk
Directed by David Fincher

Kinowelt Home Entertainment, 2008. Colour. 133 min. 2.40:1. 5.1. Bonus: audio commentary by David Fincher, Brad Pitt, Edward Norton and Helena Bonham Carter.

==============================================

“Where did you go, psycho boy?”
“I felt like destroying something beautiful.”

The first rule of Fight Club is: watch it. The second rule of Fight Club is: think about it. The third rule of Fight Club is: watch it again, think about it again. Don’t talk about it: just watch it repeatedly with care and exercise whatever mental resources you have. The least you could do is to appreciate the numerous subtle hints about the great secret long before it is revealed. If you never get farther than that, you may be the lucky one. Movies don’t get much more insane than this one. But there is method in the madness, a huge amount of fun along the way, and quite a surprising amount of depth – more disturbing, in fact, than you might have bargained for. It’s a tale told by a genius, full of sound and fury, signifying how sick a world we live in, how much aggression and destruction are part of us all, and just how little it takes for a single man to go off the rails – with unimaginable repercussions for the whole society. A little loneliness, frustration or two at work, some insomnia, and there you have it, before you know it: Project Mayhem. If you haven’t seen this movie already, by all means do so. You may well hate it. But you’ll never forget it. And pay special attention to the dialogue, including the monologues:

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. ( )
1 vote Waldstein | Jan 1, 2021 |
Fight Club, like Catcher in the Rye, may be one of those books that is best appreciated by younger readers. I bought the novel nearly twenty years ago, after seeing the movie, eager to further explore themes of anger, alienation, violence, and nihilism. Today, as a middle aged man, I appreciated the book's clever language, sick humor, and intellectual critiques, but abhorred the characters and their actions (as indeed a reader is meant to). Fight Club doesn't so much extol violence as it devastatingly critiques society's shallow consumerism, dead end jobs, dysfunctional broken families, and self-help cultures. Among other things its a dsytopian vision of how religions and cults bubble up from the ugly underbelly of the disenfranchised (I believe it's no coincidence that the spelling of Tyler Durden and Jesus Christ mirror one another). And while this short two hundred page novel left me as physically exhausted as its "nameless" insomniac narrator, its pre-apocalyptic vision of an America on the decline eerily foreshadows the destructive impulses of a post-911 and angry Trumpian world. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jul 18, 2017 |
An interesting read... would have been better if I'd read it before seeing the film, I think... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
An insomniac gets involved in antisocial mayhem.

I loved this movie when I was younger. Now, I kind of despise where it's coming from. But I still appreciate it and enjoy most of it anyway.

Concept: D

Leto, JaredActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Meat LoafActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norton, EdwardActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pitt, BradActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the film. Do NOT combine it with the book or with other versions or media (e.g. games). If your copy of the book or the game is showing up on this page, then please edit your catalog to add an author and/or ISBN, so that your record can be separated from this work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,072,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible