Men Without Women (1927)

by Ernest Hemingway, Annemari Horschitz-Horst

Other authors: Ernest Hemingway

1,3642010,440 (3.65)26
CLASSIC SHORT STORIES FROM THE MASTER OF AMERICAN FICTION First published in 1927, Men Without Women represents some of Hemingway's most important and compelling early writing. In these fourteen stories, Hemingway begins to examine the themes that would occupy his later works: the casualties of war, the often uneasy relationship between men and women, sport and sportsmanship. In "Banal Story," Hemingway offers a lasting tribute to the famed matador Maera. "In Another Country" tells of an Italian major recovering from war wounds as he mourns the untimely death of his wife. "The Killers" is the hard-edged story about two Chicago gunmen and their potential victim. Nick Adams makes an appearance in "Ten Indians," in which he is presumably betrayed by his Indian girlfriend, Prudence. And "Hills Like White Elephants" is a young couple's subtle, heartwrenching discussion of abortion. Pared down, gritty, and subtly expressive, these stories show the young Hemingway emerging as America's finest short story writer.… (more)

English (17)  Hindi (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (20)
I truly do not understand this book, definitely not my cup of tea. By chapter 6, I've given it up.

Here's my full review:
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
This was my first introduction to Hemingway’s writing, so it took some time to get used to his masculine characters (or, misogynistic as we’d interpret it now). It also didn’t help that the first story, The Undefeated was my least favourite story of the bunch, but after that it got so much better. I finally got to read and analyse classics like Hills Like White Elephants, A Simple Enquiry and The Killers.

What I like about Hemingway’s short stories is the simplicity on the surface. At first I didn’t understand what message he was trying to convey, but once you’re able to look past the subtleties, Hemingway’s talent shows through. Literature in its most interesting form is when it leaves you with more questions than answers, and Hemingway excels at doing exactly that. I think I’ll come to appreciate these short stories when I read them more often and that prospect excites me. ( )
  frtyfour | Jun 16, 2020 |
I read this collection of 14 short stories in part to compare it to Haruki Murakami's recent collection that borrowed the title. These are indeed primarily stories of men without women. I can see even a few bits to compare, probably coincidental, such as the story of the boxer in '50 Grand' who is off training and misses his wife every day and writes her letters. I enjoyed reading this, but this is not the best Hemingway and some of the stories are just little slips of things that didn't grab me. Still, it is Hemingway. There are enough good ones, thought provoking vignettes, in here to put this at the high end of an OK read so I'm giving this 3 1/2 stars.

Sometimes when I read Hem's stories I feel like a little kid again listening to my grandpa tell stories. ( )
  RBeffa | Nov 30, 2017 |
I've never been a fan of short stories, but Hemingway is surely the master. "Fifty Grand" is my favourite. I was reading it while walking around. I couldn't put it down. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
I must admit that, whilst reading parts of this book, I thought that Men Without Women would be the first Hemingway experience I've had that I disliked (it is the seventh book by the man that I have read). A fair proportion of the stories here are simply dull, lacking direction and not even offering any coherent symbolism or thematic depth as redemption. Many other reviewers have praised the included stories 'Hills Like White Elephants' and 'The Killers', and though I liked 'Hills', these two stories didn't exactly blow me away. Others, such as 'Che Ti Dice La Patria?' and 'A Canary for One', don't really have anything to recommend them, whilst 'A Simple Enquiry' was just strange and right out of left-field.

Sometimes the strangeness is fine and pleasing, as with 'A Pursuit Race', a story about a drug addict who happens to talk through a white bed-sheet (!?) and 'Today is Friday', which has three Roman soldiers winding down after work and talking about that Jesus bloke they put up on the cross (You see me slip the old spear into him?" (pg. 120)). I did like the two sports-related stories: 'The Undefeated', about a bullfighter, and 'Fifty Grand', about a boxer. I found the latter to be the most accessible and pleasing of the selections on offer. But, all told, if you're looking for a collection of Hemingway's short stories, you might want to check out The Snows of Kilimanjaro first, which I found to be a stronger offering." ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horschitz-Horst, Annemarimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, Ernestsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Evan Shipman
Manuel Garcia climbed the stairs to Don Miguel Retana's office.
(THE UNDEFEATED).

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,324,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible