Ink Exchange

by Melissa Marr

Series: Wicked Lovely (2)

Seventeen-year-old Leslie wants a tattoo as a way of reclaiming control of herself and her body, but the eerie image she selects pulls her into the dangerous Dark Court of the faeries, where she draws on inner strength to make a horrible choice.

English (119)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (121)
Well, I really liked the first book of this series, but somehow I just don't seen to bring myself to finish this. I got quite far. But now I just don't care. So, not going to finish. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
Ink Exchange is Melissa Marr's follow up to the book Wicked Lovely. This book follows Leslie, one of Aislinn's best frinds, as she struggles to deal with her personal demons. Leslie decides to get a tattoo to sybolize the changes she wants to have in her life. When she sees the tattoo of a beautiful pair of wings in the tattoo shop, she knows that it's the one for her. Little does she know the changes it will bring to her life. For after she gets the tattoo, Leslie is bound to the Dark Court of the fearie that world that she knows nothing about.

Although Ink Exchange does move over and follow Leslie's introduction to the Fearie world, Keenan, Seth and Aislinn from the first book are there also in the background. Marr also gives us new characters and allows the readers to see things from the point of the view of the Dark Court. She allows us to see that the Dark Court isn't all evil and that there are shades of grey in everything. Now I'm off to read the next chapter to the series, Fragile Eternity.
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I'm not sure why authors always do this in series; make deviation novels that suddenly switch focus to a new storyline and characters. Not that it was a bad idea...I just don't understand it.

Leslie, a friend of Aislinn's from "Wicked Lovely," is about to begin her own encounters with the faery world. It all begins with her longing for a tattoo. Her horrible home life and scarring events in her past make Leslie long for something she can control, a mark that will change her life. And she has no idea that she will get just what she's wishing for.

Because the tattoo she chooses is the mark of the Dark Court's king, Irial. It will bind her and her emotions, and the emotions of all mortals, to the frighteningly alluring dark faery. It will trap her in a world between mortality and inhuman darkness, deprived of free will. And Leslie will have to overcome that if she is to retain herself.

There are brief appearances by "Wicked Lovely" characters, some playing bigger roles than others. It was interesting getting to know Niall, who has a leading role here as opposed to his secondary appearances in the first book. I still was very approving of Seth, who manages to really shine in his few appearances. This book, curiously similar in a way to Holly Black's bridge novel "Valiant", was much darker and more psychologically twisted that the first. All the characters are very ambiguous, and almost all of them are both kind and cruel. There are some pretty scary ideas going on...it kind of turned me off in the same way "Valiant" did, with the utter loss of self to the twisted machinations of the faery world. But its hopeful ending made up for some of that, and the ambiguity was an interesting change from many novels. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
What can I say? Loving this series. If you read WICKED LOVELY, I'd highly recommend picking up this next installment. It doesn't deal directly with Aislinn and Keenan (they are there still, just not the main focus) but Leslie's story is very much a part of the overall series and neccessary (to this reader at least) to understand the overall series. Darker than book one, but a message of strenth and how it is truly defined in the end. ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
I wish I remembered more from Wicked Lovely to help keep things straight while listening to Ink Exchange. A wounded teenager is tricked into being a conduit for feeding negative emotion to bad bad fairies via a lovely tattoo. I was a little put off at first by the male narrator, because I felt it was more Leslie's story than Neal's or Iriel's, but I enjoyed the over the top emotion and semi-empathy with the creepy fae. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, MarkCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter
To all the people who've been in the abyss and found (or are finding) a way to reach solid ground-- you're proof that the seemingly impossible can happen.
And to A.S., who shared his shadows with me-- I hope you found what you needed.
Prologue FALL: Irial watched the girl stroll up the street: she was a bundle of terror and fury.
Chapter 1 EARLY THE FOLLOWING YEAR: Leslie slipped into her school uniform and got ready as quickly as she could.

Copy & Pasted from www.melissa-marr.com

"Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance between the Faerie Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly-vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

17-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind that Leslie had dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faerie world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils.

Melissa Marr continues her tales of Faerie in a dark, ravishing story of temptation and consequences, and of heroism when least expected. "

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,932,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible