The Sanctuary Sparrow by Ellis Peters

The Sanctuary Sparrow (1983)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (7)

Plague Land by S D Sykes (charlie68)
    charlie68: Same time period

English (21)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
Another entertaining story in this series. I did not guess whodunit until very close to the end of the book, which I liked. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 2, 2019 |
During the performance of Lilliwin the jongleur at Daniel Auerfaber's wedding, he breaks a vase and is tossed out on his ear minus his fee. Later that evening the hue and cry goes up for his head at having committed murder and theft. Running for his life, he seeks refuge at the Shrewsbury Abbey and is granted 40 days of asylum. Brother Cadfael and Hugh Beringar are on the case to prove or disprove the boy's innocence. In the meanwhile, you discover that Walter Auerfaber is not dead, only injured and is more concerned about his loss of wealth than anything else. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Sep 21, 2018 |
I enjoy this gentle series (if murder and mayhem can have a gentle side). I skip around based on whatever book happens to be on sale and use them as lovely interludes between longer and more complicated books. Normally I give them 3 stars, but a few have rated 4 - most because I didn't guess the murderer until very close to the end.

This one gets 4 because of its wonderful exploration of women's roles and power dynamics in a multi-generation craft family. Books set in and around a monastery will of necessity have only token women. In most of the other Cadfael books I've read, those women are treated with respect, but have only minor supporting roles. In this one, we're treated to lengthy passages from the female POV. Powerful elderly matriarch, daughter/householder, new bride, and servant--all play a rich role in the narrative. The Sanctuary Sparrow is a fun read and welcome departure from the series. ( )
  MarysGirl | Jul 12, 2018 |
Ellis Peters again delivers a wonderful historical mystery.

Brother Caedfael often helps people in love. In this book, there are three couples, each couple very much in love, but in three very different ways. The action of the story comes about naturally from who each person is, and comes to light just as naturally.

Ms. Peters does seem prone to the trope of "the first suspect is never guilty", but I hadn't realized it until just now. She doesn't beat you over the head with it. Frankly, by about half way through this novel, I had at least three different theories about who did what and why, all of them supported by the facts revealed that far. And had I not been so very caught up in the excellent writing, and the wonderfully real characters, I could have figured it out - all the information was there. But I preferred to stay immersed in the time and place of the story, than take the time to work out the plot ahead of time. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: The Sanctuary Sparrow
Series: Brother Cadfael
Author: Ellis Peters
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 289
Format: Kindle Digital Editions

Synopsis:
A young jongleur is accused of theft and murder. Taking sanctuary in the church grounds, he has 40 days for the law to determine his guilt or innocence. Brother Cadfael is convinced of his innocence and sets out to help prove it. My Thoughts: Mysteries aren't my favorite things but I still like to occasionally read them just to keep up the slight variety in my SFF world. What I don't like is that information is doled out, or not in many cases, to the reader and not much actually happens.The writing was excellent but this just wasn't my thing. I also think that this was the last tv episode I watched back in '13, so I mostly knew what was going on right from the get go. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Ooide, KenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It began, as the greatest of storms do begin, as a mere tremor in the air, a thread of sound so distant and faint, yet so ominous, that the ear that was sharp enough to catch it instantly pricked and shut out present sounds to strain after it again, and interpret the warning.

A young man pursued by a lynching mob seeks sanctuary at the Benedictine monastery in Shrewsbury. He is accused of robbery and murder, but Cadfael senses his innocence and sets out to prove it.

In the Shrewsbury spring of 1140 the midnight matins at the Benedictine abbey reverberate with an unholy sound, a hunt in full cry. Pursued by a drunken mod, the quarry is running for its life. When the creature bursts into the nave to claim sanctuary, Brother Cadfael finds himself fighting off armed townsmen to save a young man.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible