Nerve by Dick Francis

Nerve (1964)

by Dick Francis

English (14)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (16)
I love Dick Francis books and this was no exception. Already at the beginning a jockey shot himself. Nobody could explain why he did this. The young jockey Rob, who sees the whole thing emotionally from the outside, gets to know the highs and lows of horse racing and decides to get to the bottom of the cause of the misery of his colleagues. He discovers that the horses of these jockeys and his horses have been doped. He's out for revenge and does it in a subtle way. He's in grave danger. His will is stronger than all the pain he suffers.
A magnificently thought-out thriller that gives an insight into the world of horse racing. ( )
  Ameise1 | Feb 19, 2019 |
I'm clearly in the minority on this one, but I did not enjoy this book. I think I just don't enjoy horse racing (or any other form of racing) enough to relate to the main character. Rob Finn is an up-and-coming jockey but someone is trying to do him in. If you enjoy horse racing and thrillers, you might enjoy this one. I won't be trying another installment of the series. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 23, 2019 |
I particularly like Rob Finn, the main & viewpoint character of this book, whose unusual choices are self accepted with so little fuss for all their intensity. The world of steeplechase racing and it's personalities come to life totally integrated into the action and tone of the narrative. ( )
  quondame | Jan 22, 2019 |
Jockey Rob Finn is just breaking in to steeplechase racing. Trainers and owners are beginning to notice the up-and-comer and take a chance on him with their second-rate horses. Another jockey’s bad break (literally) becomes Finn’s lucky break. Finn is puzzled by rumors about other jockeys that seem to circulate so rapidly with seemingly little foundation. When he becomes the target of rumors that he’s lost his nerve, Finn sets out to trace the rumors back to their source, no matter what the cost. Francis gives his readers a page-turning plot, a hero with depth, and a strong setting within racing circles. It’s just the kind of thriller to make time fly on a cold and rainy winter afternoon! ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Jan 13, 2019 |
I love horses--from a distance. I'm not a rider. And I'm not a fan of racing; it's a brutal life for jockeys and their mounts, even when they live to do it. So although I remember loving Dick Francis's novels when I compulsively read them all years ago, I had kind of forgottenwhy. It's just this: his "heroes" fall into that category of male characters I can't get enough of, like those created by Robert B. Parker, and Walter Mosley---smart, attractive and fundamentally good, but not hesitant to use a trick or two from the bad guys' play book against them; reluctant to impose violence on others until absolutely necessary, and always ready to stop when enough is enough; vulnerable to injury, but relatively undaunted by the pain; decent to everyone, even, up to a point, to people who do not deserve it; and absolutely NOT subject to losing their nerve. That sums up Rob Finn, the relatively inexperienced jockey we meet in [Nerve]. He's starting to make a name for himself as fearless, so trainers and owners like to put him up on their difficult horses...the ones no one else wants to ride. He has managed a few good showings, when he gets the opportunity to pick up steady work replacing another jockey who has taken a bad fall. But (here's where the "smart" comes in) something feels very wrong to Rob...too many jockeys are losing their regular gigs because of rumors about bad habits or lack of dedication to the sport. When he finds himself unable to bring home a winner in race after race, despite being up on some very reliable mounts, his reputation takes a hit, his suspicions rear up, and we're all taken for a grand ride. Great story-telling here. ( )
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | Jan 6, 2019 |
Art Mathews shot himself, loudly and messily, in the center of the parade ring at Dunstable races.

From Wikipedia-
Robert Finn watches a fellow jockey blow his brains out soon after a race. As Finn and the other jockeys cope with the stress of their jobs, other incidents lead Finn to conclude that someone is trying to destroy the lives of jockeys all over England. Finn is not your average jockey, though. The only child of famous virtuoso musicians, in a family of virtuosos, he has not followed the family traditions. But he inherited other skills that now give him the skills to follow a sad and warped trail. And he has been remarkably successful jockey for a man with only 2 years experience. Soon, he is the next target. A losing streak that lasts weeks threatens his job until he takes it upon himself to do a little sleuthing, and uncovering the identity of the culprit. Now, Finn wants his revenge, and he takes his time setting it up.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515123463, Mass Market Paperback)

From bestselling author Dick Francis, Nerve is the story of a struggling young jockey--a misfit in a family of accomplished musicians--who discovers that his troubling losing streak is caused not by a lack of skill or confidence, but by something far more sinister.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

From "the best writer in the mystery genre" (Larry King) comes the story of a jockey who discovers that his losing streak is caused by something sinister. Reissue.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible