The Sabbath (1951)

by Abraham Joshua Heschel

Elegant, passionate, and filled with the love of God's creation, Abraham Joshua Heschel's The Sabbath has been hailed as a classic of Jewish spirituality ever since its original publication - and has been read by thousands of people seeking meaning in modern life. In this brief yet profound meditation on the meaning of the Seventh Day, Heschel, one of the most widely respected religious leaders of the twentieth century, introduced the influential idea of an 'architecture of holiness" that appears not in space but in time. Judaism, he argues, is a religion of time: it finds meaning not in space and the materials things that fill it but in time and the eternity that imbues it, so that 'the Sabbaths are our greatcatherdrals.'… (more)

This is a great little book from the Jewish perspective on Sabbath. Highly applicable to followers of Christ needing to find rest.
  JourneyPC | Sep 26, 2022 |
God is over time is over man is over space. Sabbath is how we turn our attention away from space to commune with God through time. Beautiful book, beautiful prose, beautiful practice. Best read in companion with Brueggeman’s Sabbath as Resistance to really wrestle with cultural criticism. ( )
  nrfaris | Dec 23, 2021 |
Considering the book's reputation, I expected a lot more. The prose was long winded and sometimes the author stated something that doesn't really make sense, logically, but presented it as being the logical conclusion of his argument. It took me years to finish it because I kept falling asleep. ( )
  SGTCat | Feb 25, 2021 |
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all their multitude. And on the seventh day God finished the work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all the work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all the work that he had done in creation. Genesis 2:1-3 NRSV

Considered a classic of Jewish spirituality, The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man is an elegant and beautifully-written treatise seeking to renew a sanctification of time. Rabbi Heschel distinguishes between space and time, the former within the realm of man, the latter lies within the realm of God.

This theological study possessed so many "aha" moments, I found myself frequently highlighting the various arguments. Not surprising, I discerned a number of connections with our Christian theology. ( )
  John_Warner | Dec 11, 2020 |
The prologue and epilogue are LOADED. Everything in between is also pretty good. Definitely interesting perspectives, there are truths that I can gleam for my own life. This book also helped me understand how sabbath became an object of worship for some people. ( )
  Eddie_Long | Nov 2, 2020 |
Technical civilization is a man's conquest of space.
The meaning of the Sabbath is to celebrate thime rather than space. Six days a week we live under the tyranny of things of space; on the Sabbath we try to become attuned to holiness in time. It is a day on which we are called upon to share in what is eternal in time, to turn from the results of creation to the mystery of creation; from the world of creation to the creation of the world. (p. 10)

This is our constant problem--how to live with people and remain free, how to live with things and remain independent P.89

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,033,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible