Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and…

The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales (1976)

by Bruno Bettelheim

English (17)  French (4)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales is written like a dissertation. Unfortunately, I am not interested in the author's thoughts nor do I agree with his interpretation of the symbolism of the fairy tales. Additionally, I believe that the author is too puffed up in self-importance.to even write this book. Consequently, I do not recommend the book and I gave it only 1 star. ( )
  lbswiener | May 15, 2019 |
Nope, just can't finish this one. It's not that I disagree, but Bettelheim belabors the point continually that fairy tales are good for kids because they can relate to the stories on multiple levels. And when he finally gets around to specific stories, it gets really weird. Are all psychologists such weirdo perverts?
  J.Green | Mar 15, 2019 |
Leia os livros de Marie-Louise von Franz. Por favor. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
"The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales" is very accessible to adult readers. It is written in layman's terms,
and helps the reader realize that Fairy Tales can be used to heal our psychological wounds. Focusing mainly on fairytales collected by the Grimm brothers,Bettelheim is adept at explaining the symbolic meanings that are recognizable in these stories. ( )
  Breton07 | Jun 5, 2016 |
FREE AT LAST! (Or, joy at having finished this fifty-pound weight.) ( )
  KatrinkaV | May 14, 2016 |

Bruno Bettelheimprimary authorall editionscalculated
D'Anna, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Little Red Riding Hood was my first love..."

The great child psychologist gives us a moving revelation of the enormous and irreplaceable value of fairy tales - how they educate, support and liberate the emotions of children.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Helps adults become aware of the importance of fairy tales. By revealing the content of such stories he shows how children may make use of them to cope with their emotions, whether they be feelings of smallness and helplessness or the anxieties the child feels about strangers.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,509,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible