dismiss

The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales

by Bruno Bettelheim

Discusses how fairy tales are used to educate, support, and liberate the emotions of children; how the tales reveal the child, subconsciously to himself.
Recently added byfelixanta, Jazzybabs, JoseLuis1972, GabbyHM, nr76, private library, islawight, BookishlyQueer
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Eeva-Liisa Manner

English (18)  French (4)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (26)
what the hell was this guy on ( )
  LianaH | Apr 4, 2020 |
The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales is written like a dissertation. Unfortunately, I am not interested in the author's thoughts nor do I agree with his interpretation of the symbolism of the fairy tales. Additionally, I believe that the author is too puffed up in self-importance.to even write this book. Consequently, I do not recommend the book and I gave it only 1 star. ( )
  lbswiener | May 15, 2019 |
Nope, just can't finish this one. It's not that I disagree, but Bettelheim belabors the point continually that fairy tales are good for kids because they can relate to the stories on multiple levels. And when he finally gets around to specific stories, it gets really weird. Are all psychologists such weirdo perverts?
  J.Green | Mar 15, 2019 |
Leia os livros de Marie-Louise von Franz. Por favor. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
"The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales" is very accessible to adult readers. It is written in layman's terms,
and helps the reader realize that Fairy Tales can be used to heal our psychological wounds. Focusing mainly on fairytales collected by the Grimm brothers,Bettelheim is adept at explaining the symbolic meanings that are recognizable in these stories. ( )
  Breton07 | Jun 5, 2016 |

Bruno Bettelheimprimary authorall editionscalculated
D'Anna, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Little Red Riding Hood was my first love..."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,895,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible