Midnight Magic (1999)

by Avi

In Italy in 1491, Mangus the magician and his apprentice are summoned to the castle of Duke Claudio to determine if his daughter is indeed being haunted by a ghost.

I loved this book. For a while as I read, I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but then the magic began to happen. I fell in love with this book about half way through, and still love it. It quickly grows on the reader, and will always be remembered as a truly magical read. ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
An excellent read. I enjoyed the characters, the way the plot unfolded, and the conclusion. The setting is the Middle Ages, during that time when magic and science were intertwined. Fabrizio, the main character is outstanding, engaging and lively. The relationship between him and Magnus the Magician is wonderful, touching and unexpected.

Middle Readers points: a satisfying happy ending, no sex, minimal violence, and lots of cleverness. ( )
  Bookjoy144 | Mar 2, 2022 |
sequel to "Murder at Midnight". Fun characters. Solid plot. ( )
  RobertaLea | Mar 18, 2021 |
Magnus the Magician has sworn not to do magic, after having been brought to trial and threatened with death if he were to do magic again. Now he has been ordered to the castle by the King to prove or disprove if the Princess is being haunted by a ghost. His life is once again at stake.

Accompanied by his young assistant, Fabrizio, the two try to discover if the appearances are real or hoax. If the ghost is real, the young Princess will not be forced to marry the Count Scarazoni, but if it is all not real she will marry the evil Count.

While investigating the matter, charges come up that the Princess' brother has been murdered while on a journey to visit the Pope, and that the perpetrator is Count Scarazoni. Also there is the matter of the kitchen worker, Rinaldo, who has interest in the mystery and helps show Fabrizio the secret passages that abound within the castle.

I've read a number of books by Avi and have more on my shelves waiting to be read. He writes in an inviting way and moves the story along at a good and even pace. Written for the juvenile audience, he is enjoyable for the adult looking for a quick read that isn't childish. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
  Bookslesstravelled | Jun 20, 2016 |
For Katie
In 1491, in the Kingdom of Pergamontio, there lived a twelve-year-old boy by the name of Fabrizio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,755,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible