Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb

Fool's Fate (2003)

by Robin Hobb

Series: Tawny Man Trilogy (3), Realm of the Elderlings (9)

English (33)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
Just finished my audio reread of this book so I can read the final? series.
It was just as good as I remembered and I cried more than once. I'd forgotten a lot though including the fact that what would often be the climax of many series is only half way through and there is a lot more to go. But I loved this book when I first read it and I still love it. It's sad and happy and I remember crying my eyes out the first time when Fitz actually gets his happy ending back with Molly .
This series is one of my favourites of all time. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 23, 2018 |
Got four stars because I just read all three of this series back to back over 3 months. And I did read them, hardly skipped a word despite them being 700 pages each. Still told entirely from Fitz/Tom's point of view with only hints of the Fool - but enough to satisfy. I may have come across these books at a time when they were what I needed but despite the escapism there is plenty of substance in them and comfort in being certain that she won't let her characters down. Even if she kills a character they will get a good death (if they deserve it) and any suffering will be character building in the long run. Totally unlike life! ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
This conclusion was everything I wanted it to be; I remember loving it the first time I read it, but not how near-perfect it was.

This book is definitely my favorite of the series. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Beautiful. Sad. Uplifting. Probably the best-written of the Farseer books.

Still miss you, Nighteyes. And now, Heart of the Pack.
1 vote Crontab_e | Sep 19, 2017 |
Another masterpiece from Robin Hobb, although I personally feel this and the Royal Assassin book are somewhat subdued in terms of her brilliance and what I've come to expect of her.

I had several problems with book - first of all, naming the Fool's horse Malta. C'mon, did you happen to run out of names, or did you want us to remember the stubborn Elderling-in-the-making Malta Vestrit when the Fool rode on his horse? Second of all, the killing of Nighteyes, we were given a jump-scare of sorts in the beginning of the book when a fish got stuck in his throat, but never in a million years, I thought he'd get actually killed off. I feel hollow inside. (Okay, this seems to be really well done, in order to affect me so much). Next comes the naming of Prince Dutiful. What's 'dutiful' about someone who runs away from home at the slightest allure of freedom and love? How is he dutiful in any way? I know he's supposed to be a kid, but he acted so insufferably throughout the whole book that I wanted Fitz to almost give up the cause return saying, "The prince is not worth my efforts". That little spoiled brat is the reason Nighteyes is dead. These books won't be the same again without Nighteyes.

Despite all my complaints, it's a great book, and you really don't have to read the Liveship Traders trilogy to read this. The only things from it are the talks of the rise of dragons and serpents and a brief excursion to the Others' island, which aren't major plot points any way.
  Crontab_e | Sep 19, 2017 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jewell, LaurieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pi.
The White Prophet's premise seems simple.
-- Prologue
Sometimes it seems unfair that events so old can reach forward through the years, sinking claws into one's life and twisting all that follows it.
-- Chapter One

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553582461, Mass Market Paperback)

Fool's Fate is the third book of Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy, and the ninth and concluding volume of the Fitzchivalry Farseer saga, one of the best high-fantasy series of the turn of the millennium. Fitz is the bastard son of the royal family of the Six Duchies, which he serves as assassin, guardsman, and Skill-magician. Fitz also serves the White Prophet as "Catalyst," the unique person who may enable the White Prophet to change human destiny for the better. In Fool's Fate, Fitz must accompany his kinsman, Prince Dutiful Farseer, to a distant northern island, where the prince must slay the world's last male dragon to win the hand of the Out Islands princess Elliania, the woman he loves. However, not even Elliania wants the dragon dead; why, then, does she require Dutiful to kill Icefyre? Are darker forces manipulating Elliania? Even worse, if Icefyre dies, the White Prophet foresees not only his own death, but a grim future for humankind. The prophet's only hope of changing the future is his Catalyst. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

On a mission to the Outislands to destroy the dragon Icefyre, who has been frozen in a glacier for millennia, Prince Dutiful and his Skillmaster FitzChivalry match wits with the Fool, an enemy determined to free the dragon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible