One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters

One Corpse Too Many (1979)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (2)

When Shrewsbury Castle falls, Brother Cadfael discovers a murder mystery amid the wreckage In the summer of 1138, war between King Stephen and the Empress Maud takes Brother Cadfael from the quiet world of his garden into a battlefield of passions, deceptions, and death. Not far from the safety of the abbey walls, Shrewsbury Castle falls, leaving its ninety-four defenders loyal to the empress to hang as traitors. With a heavy heart, Brother Cadfael agrees to bury the dead, only to make a grisly discovery: one extra victim that has been strangled, not hanged. This ingenious way to dispose of a corpse tells Brother Cadfael that the killer is both clever and ruthless. But one death among so many seems unimportant to all but the good Benedictine. He vows to find the truth behind disparate clues: a girl in boy's clothing, a missing treasure, and a single broken flower . . . the tiny bit of evidence that Cadfael believes can expose a murderer's black heart.… (more)
Recently added bymccastro, fiverivers, slmr4242, private library, pdianne, jess64au, SollyReads, Alliancestl
    Plague Land by S D Sykes (charlie68)
    charlie68: Same time period.

English (37)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (46)
Many years ago, I met Brother Cadfael for the first time in the PBS Mystery series. That episode was One corpse too many, the second Cadfael novel. In this book we meet the character of Hugh Beringar for the first time. It is 1138 and Shrewsbury is in the midst of the turmoil between Empress Maud and King Stephen. The castle is being defended by Maud's men but Stephen takes it. As a warning, all the defenders are hanged. Brother Cadfael offers to prepare those 94 men for burial and discovers a 95th man, one who definitely doesn't belong. Unraveling this mystery takes every ounce of the Brother's detective skills.

This was certainly the best PBS episode, and after reading at least half of the series of books, the best book so far. ( )
  fdholt | Jun 14, 2019 |
A mystery set in history, in the medieval time period when the families of Kings fought to take the throne. Brother Cadfael follows the clues to solve the murder of an unknown young man. Enjoyed! ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 14, 2019 |
A girl, disguised as a boy, turns up at the monastery, seeking refuge. The king had a number of persons executed. One additional body is found. Cadfael gains the king's permission to seek the murderer. Meanwhile the king and his men are seeking the girl. This was a re-read for me, and I remembered enough of the story to make me realize I'd read it before, but the intervening time made details seemingly new at times. ( )
  thornton37814 | Sep 13, 2018 |
Amazing how much more I enjoy these books now that I know the characters. This one, like all Cadfaels that I read, began quickly with the crux of the mystery, and then lagged a bit in tedium of detail, and then was over all too swiftly. The final fight went on (in actual time, not reading time) for longer than I would have suspected, and with a bit of a twist I also did not expect.

Somewhere along the way in my reading, I missed this book as being #2, which in turn led to some confusion over Hugh Beringer and his place in future books. It really does pay to read series in the order written! ( )
  kaulsu | Sep 6, 2018 |
Brother Cadfael has lived a long and varied life and now resides at peace in a monastery. But King Stephen and Empress Maud are in contention for the throne of England, and Stephen is about to attack. After the swift and decisive battle, he orders 94 supporters of Maud to be hung. Only problem is when the local monastery offers to commend their mortal souls to heaven, 95 victims appear. 2 love stories and a duel later justice is found. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Jul 5, 2018 |

Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volkovskogo, Vitalii︠a︡Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolfová, ZoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brother Cadfael was working in the small kitchen garden by the abbot's fish-ponds when the boy was first brought to him.

A monk finds a corpse
with executed people
and solves the murder.
(marcusbrutus)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible