Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper -- Case Closed

by Patricia Cornwell

Examines the century-old series of murders that terrorized London in the 1880s, drawing on research, state-of-the-art forensic science, and insights into the criminal mind to reveal the true identity of the infamous Jack the Ripper.

English (74)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (82)
When I was in London I took the Jack the Ripper tour, led by a retired city detective and presumably the widely regarded foremost living expert on the case, and he regarded this book as execrable. ( )
  JoeHamilton | Jul 21, 2020 |
I remember this book, my mother got me the hardback. It was an interesting read if nothing else, and gave me chills for a few days. ( )
  AshleighDJCutler | May 12, 2020 |
I really didn't like how cocksure Patricia Cornwell comes off in the book. From my memory of this book, it was an interesting theory, but not one that seemed more legitimate than many other theories before and since. ( )
  pathlesstraveled | Oct 31, 2019 |
Review: Portrait of A Killer by Patricia Cornwell. 3* 09/09/2019

Cornwell took a tour of Scotland Yard and that’s what got her interest in the Ripper case.
She used the name of Walter Sickert (1860-1942) because he was renown later in his life. She wrote the book with overstated subject matters that I felt was stretched a little too much to really being a fact or anyway close to the truth. I have read many books on this person and I thought he was a complex person just as I think the case was complex to the public because the investigation and many researchers material wasn’t enough to close the cases. Some of the evidence couldn’t justify if it was connected to the Ripper’s victims but some stated they got the facts and it was true.

Patricia Cornwell released this book even after there were many controversial issues with the Ripper case. Plus, Cornwell provides little evidence towards her theory of who the real “Jack the Ripper” was. Her research sounds convincing but many people doubt seriously that the evidence she had spent so much time and money on would hold up in today’s courtroom. So as far as Patricia Cornwell feels that her research is done, “Case Closed”. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Sep 22, 2019 |
I think a compelling case is put forward for who the real killer may have been. A thorough investigation with plenty of detail provided. Also provides a great insight into what life was like for people in London, especially the downtrodden, at that time. ( )
  niknar77 | Jul 20, 2018 |

Cornwell, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ligterink, YolandeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

There was a general panic, a great many excitable people declaring that the evil one was revisiting the earth. H.M., ANONYMOUS EAST END MISSIONARY, 1888
To Scotland Yard's John Grieve
You would have caught him.
Monday, August 6, 1888, was a bank holiday in London.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,446,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible