The Next Attack: The Failure of the War on Terror and a Strategy for…

by Daniel Benjamin, Steven Simon

The authors of the bestseller The Age of Sacred Terror show how the United States is losing the war on terror and what we need to do if we're serious about winning it. We are losing. Four years and two wars after September 11, 2001, the United States is no closer to victory in the "war on terror." In fact, we are unwittingly clearing the way for the next attack.In this provocative new book, Daniel Benjamin and Steven Simon show how the terrorist threat is evolving, with a broadening array of tactics, an army of new fighters and, most ominously, a widening base of support in the global Muslim community. The jihadist movement has been galvanized by the example of 9/11 and the missteps of the U.S. government, which has consistently failed to understand the nature of the new terror. Left on this trajectory, much worse faces us in the near future.It doesn't have to be this way. The Next Attack makes the case that America has the capacity to stem the tide of Islamic terrorism, but Benjamin and Simon caution that this will require a far-reaching and creative new strategy, one that recognizes that the struggle has been over-militarized and that a campaign for reform must be more than rhetoric and less than bayonets. And they point out how America's increasing tendency to frame the conflict in religious terms has undermined our ability to advance our interests.Is America is truly equipped to do what is necessary to combat Islamist terrorism, or are we too blinded by our own ideology? The answer to that question will determine how secure we will truly be, in the years and decades to come.… (more)

I will be short and succinct in this review. The authors contend in this book that U.S. military interventions are jeopardizing the war against radical Islamists. They describe terrorists' use of the Internet to spread their ideology, the role of Christian evangelism in foreign policy, and the influence of Muslims in America. The authors also share their opinion that there have been no more attacks in the U.S.A. because of the easier targets given to the terrorist in Iraq. But believes that an attack in the U.S.A. is just a matter of time. ( )
  mramos | Oct 8, 2007 |
An outstanding analysis of what went wrong, how the current policies in Iraq are exacerbating our problems (and may do sufficient damage to the US in the long run to make our survival as a viable world power questionable, IMO), what we *should* have done, and what we must do promptly.
Now, I may like it because much of it agrees with what I've been saying all along, and it's nice to hear it from some experts, but I'll accept that and still recommend the book highly. ( )
  ErasmusRob | Jul 12, 2007 |

Daniel Benjaminprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simon, Stevenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,500,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible