Night Train to Memphis

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Vicky Bliss (5)

An assistant curator of Munich's National Museum, Vicky Bliss is no expert on Egypt, but she does have a Ph.D. in solving crimes. So when an intelligence agency offers her a luxury Nile cruise if she'll help solve a murder and stop a heist of Egyptian antiquities, all 5'11" of her takes the plunge. Vicky suspects the authorities really want her to lead them to her missing lover, the art thief and master of disguises she knows only as "Sir John Smythe." And right in the shadow of the Sphinx she spots him. . . with his new flame. Vicky is so furious at this romantic stab-in-the-back, not to mention the sudden arrival of her meddling boss, Herr Dr. Schmidt, that she may overlook a danger as old as the pharaohs and as unchanging. . . a criminal who hides behind a mask of charm while moving in for the kill.… (more)

Oh i just love this series & Im so sad there is only 1 more book left in series! The whole series is 5 star & a must read! I cant find one thing that i dont like about it! It has just the right amount of romance, mystery, action, suspense, etc. etc. etc. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I really like Vicki as a character. So different from Amelia Peabody. This is the first book I read of the series (I wish they put numbers on the covers!), but I enjoyed it enough to want to read the rest. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
Elizabeth Peters spins a fantastic yarn through Egypt on a boat and on land.Along on this journey is Dr. Vicky Bliss an official of the National Museum in Munich, her boss Director Doctor Schmidt and Sir John who was Vicky's boyfriend but he is now married. Vicky is convinced to go undercover on a cruise yo Egypt to prevent and identify a thief. Once convinced on the boat Vicky see's Sir John and his bride, bit Vicky is John's ex love and knows he is a bit of a thief. It seems all things go awry and there is mass confusion when the ship sails. The storyline consists of humor,terrorism,theft,some fun and some romance. My favorite character is Schmidt he was very endearing and smarter than people thought. I plan to read more of the Vicky Bliss books. Bravo Ms Peters
Thanks to Net Galley and Grand Central Publishing ( )
  druidgirl | Sep 17, 2013 |
Listened to cassette edition narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt. A fun romp through Egypt with plenty of suspense to season the humor. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Any book by Elizabeth Peters is a treat. For me, she delivers in spades on intelligent suspense, engaging characters, a vivid background and sense of place, a subtle yet powerful sexual connection between the hero and heroine and a great sense of fun. Night Train to Memphis is one of my favourites of her substantial oeuvre. ( )
  MaggieCraig | Nov 5, 2011 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conlin, GraceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singer,PhillipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

YOU'RE A DETOUR ON THE HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN (To: Great Speckled Bird)
FOR SHARON McCRUMB with love and thanks
The mountain meadow was carpeted with fresh green and starred with small, shy flowers.
"The shorts are out. Your knees aren't knobby enough."
"You might have expressed it in more flattering terms," I said.
"Your legs, my darling, are masterpieces of sculptural elegance," John said agreeably. "Those appendages would grace an Aphrodite or a young Diana. Never could such marvels of slender rounded beauty be taken for those of a man. Your form, in short, is rare and divine."
"'Philadelphia Lawyer'," I said.
John raised one finger and made an invisible mark on the air. "One point for you."

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,052,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible