Wicked Widow by Amanda Quick

Series: Vanza (3)

567None17,493 (3.48)8

re-read in 2001
  surlyspice | Jan 10, 2010 |
BOR-ing. By the end, I didn't care one pin for either of the main characters. I didn't credit their falling in love – clearly it was inevitable, given the book's genre, but it wasn't executed at all believably. Also, same observation that I made about Quick's I Thee Wed: characters are like late-20th C. Americans time-warped back to 19th C. England, where they overuse the same six exclamations in order to sound all 19th-century–y.

The only reason I finished it is that it's about 80% mystery / 20% "romance," and I wanted to find out who the villain was. Wasn't really worth it in the end. ( )
1 vote drbubbles | Jan 12, 2009 |
I have to confess, I haven't read a lot of historicals, so I really don't know if this is representative or not. I think it's a Regency, but that's only because I've been told Regencies have English nobility in them. Hopefully someone here will enlighten me on the nuances before I make a complete idiot of myself. Anyway, if historicals are like this one, maybe I'll pick up a few more.

Madeline holds her own. She's smart, practical, clever, and quick. Her aunt's a hoot. Artemas, well.... Wow. "Mature yet agile" indeed.

I'm going to show my ignorance again, and ask if "Vanza" was real or if JAK invented it, and either way, if she's used any more of its followers in other books. It seems like a combination of martial arts, Eastern philosophy, and a secret society like the Masons.

Good story, anyway. Nice adventure and mystery along with the romance and historical setting---I definitely recommend it if you haven't read it yet.
  Darla | Nov 18, 2008 |
A typical, enjoyable Amanda Quick/Jayne Anne Krentz. A historical novel with some paranormal overtones.

Madeline Deveridge has rumours of killing her former husband following her. She believes she is being haunted and possibly by her former husband. She summons the only person who might be able to help her, Artemis Hunt, who is the master of an arcane society and the owner of the Dream Pavilions a pleasure garden. They have to investigate and she is trying to resist the temptation he presents while he tries to resist her.

Fun romp with a good balance of the different elements. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 13, 2007 |

Amanda Quickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lavedan, DeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR MARGARET GORDON,

a libraian's librarian at the
University of California at Santa Cruz,
with thanks

Madeline Deveridge is aware of the whispers behind her back, the rumors that she dispatched her husband to the next world and concealed her crime. But she has a far more pressing problem than her reputation as the Wicked Widow. It's impossible to believe that her late husband is haunting her and her aunt, but something odd is happening, and Madeline doesn't dare take chances. Summoning the brilliant, reclusive Artemas Hunt, secret owner of London's favorite pleasure pavilions and master of arcane talents, she blackmails him into providing help. As soon as the bargain is struck, Artemas and Madeline find their arrangement complicated by searing desire, and the frightening recognition that the ghost poses a very real danger. Now they must plunge into a world of intrigue and ancient mysteries, where a calculating killer--and a tantalizing passion--will not be denied.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553574116, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: London, Regency period
Sensuality Rating: 7

Award-winning author Amanda Quick weaves a tale of a man and a woman who understand just what it means to be haunted. Artemis Hunt, the mysterious master of a secret society, has been obsessed by the knowledge that he was unable to protect his mistress from a brutal death, and has spent the last five years plotting her revenge. Madeline Reed Deveridge, known as the infamous Wicked Widow by polite society, is rumored to have murdered her husband. But now Madeline is afraid that her dead spouse has returned from beyond the grave to terrorize her. In fear for her life and that of her beloved aunt, Madeline blackmails Artemis into aiding her by threatening to expose his ownership of the Dream Pavilions, London's premier pleasure garden--an association, if revealed, that would destroy his reputation and put his long-held plans of vengeance at serious risk. The two are drawn together at first by necessity, but Artemis soon finds himself intrigued then intoxicated by the confident woman known as the Wicked Widow. Madeline, who is inclined to distrust men after her disastrous marriage, falls prey to the unfamiliar feelings Artemis inspires in her. Their burgeoning passion may save them each from an empty future--if their secrets don't kill them first. Another Quick masterpiece! --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:20 -0400)

Nicknamed the Wicked Widow for her suspected role in her husband's death, Madeline Deveridge has a bigger problem in her late husband's ghost, which annoyingly haunts her into vowing to get rid of him once and for all

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible