Rebel Angels (2008)

by Libba Bray

Series: Gemma Doyle (2)

Gemma and her friends from the Spence Academy return to the realms to defeat her foe, Circe, and to bind the magic that has been released.
    The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: The third and final book in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy.

The adventures of Gemma, Ann, Felicity, and Pippa continue in the second installment of the Gemma Doyle trilogy. Is Miss Moore hiding something from them? ( )
  Menshevixen | Oct 13, 2020 |
Faster paced than the first book in this trilogy. Mostly set in Victorian London, the girls get some character development and we learn more about the realms. The major plot is wrapped up and we are left with loose ends that I assume are going to be dealt with in the final book and maybe also some unforseen consequences since the third book is 800 pages! ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
**edit** 4/13/17 - I'm lowering my rating to 3-stars because there are some things in there that can be considered harmful or problematic.

Bumping up to 5 stars because this one really is my favorite of the series. New review to come... probably ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
Sequel to A great and terrible beauty ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
Better than the first, enjoyed reading about the London Season ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bailey, JosephineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All that we see or seem / Is but a dream within a dream. --Edgar Allan Poe
Who first seduc'd them to that foul revolt? Th' infernal Serpent; he it was, whose guile Stir'd up with Envy and Revenge, deceiv'd The Mother of Mankinde, what time his Pride Had cast him out from Heav'n, with all his Host of Rebel Angels, by whose aid aspiring To set himself in Glory above his Peers, He trusted to have equal'd the most High, If he oppos'd; and with ambitious aim Against the Throne and Monarchy of God Rais'd impious War in heav'n and Battel proud With vain attempt. Him the almighty Power Hurl'd headlong flaming from th' Ethereal Skie With hideous ruine and combustion down To bottomless perdition, there to dwell... O Prince, O Chief of many Throned Powers, That led th' imbattell'd Seraphim to Warr Under thy conduct, and in dreadful deeds Fearless, endanger'd Heav'n's perpetual King; And put to proof his high Supremacy, Whether upheld by strength, or Chance, or Fate, Too well I see and rue the dire event, That with sad overthrow and foul defeat Hath lost us Heav'n, and all this might Host In horrible destruction laid thus low, As far as Gods and Heav'nly Essences Can Perish: for the mind and spirit remains Invincible, and vigour soon returns, Though all our Glory extinct, and happy state Here swallow'd up in endless misery.... To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n. But wherefore let we then our faithful friends, Th' associates and copartners of our loss Lye thus astonisht on th' oblivious Pool, And call them not to share with us their part In this unhappy Mansion, or once more With rallied Arms to try what may be yet Regain'd in Heav'n, or what more lost in Hell? --John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 1
For Barry and Josh, of course
And for my much loved friends, proof that we somehow manage to find our own tribe

Herein lies the faithful and true account of my last sixty days, by Kartik, brother of Amar, loyal son of the Rakshana, and of the strange visitation I received that has left me wary on this cold English night.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,116,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible