Hell is the Absence of God (novelette) by…

Hell is the Absence of God (novelette)

by Ted Chiang

This was... well... not very good. Or, well, it won a Hugo and a Nebula, so I guess on an objective level it's good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. It's got an extremely interesting premise: in a world where miracles, visitations by angels, and manifestations of hell are common, a man's wife is killed in a visitation. She's in heaven, but he's not religious. He needs to love God to get to heaven to be with his wife, but how can he love God now that He's taken everything? It sounds like the kind of story I should have loved, but I was really unclear on what the point and/or message of this story was, beyond "God's an arbitrary jerk, but it's important to love him unconditionally anyways." The story also switched between POVs frequently and I had a bit of a hard time keeping things straight.
  fyrefly98 | Oct 4, 2012 |
Certainly well-written but rather depressing and odd. I didn't exactly enjoy it, but I did enjoy it, if you know what I mean. ( )
  TadAD | May 6, 2011 |
I've enjoyed the setting but the ending is horrifying, not by it's quality, but in the message that "God is a jerk, but that's not the point". Depressing. ( )
  Seyen | Oct 27, 2010 |
This entry is for the novella only. Do not combine with collections containing additional stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,851,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible