The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter

The Tale of Peter Rabbit (1902)

by Beatrix Potter

Series: Peter Rabbit (1)

I'm reading the excellent biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter" and that has brought me back to her beautiful, and extraordinary children's books. I don't know when I first read this, but given the childish printing of my name inside the front cover I'd say I was five years old. Peter Rabbit has stayed with me for half a century now and this simple tale of the adventures of a naughty rabbit in a vegetable garden will never grow old. (On a side note, when we are walking a family dog and someone needs to shoo away a cat or a bird, that might attract unwanted attention from the dog, we call it "doing a Mr McGregor"). ( )
  Figgles | May 11, 2019 |
This story tells of a mischievous rabbit who, against his mother’s advice, decides to venture into Mr McGregor’s Garden. Peter eats his way through a variety of foods in Mr McGregor’s garden before he is caught by the farmer. The story carries a strong theme of the consequences of not following instructions and is a good book for getting children to think about how various characters may be feeling. I think the attention to detail in the illustrations are incredible. They capture the story and are just soothing to look at. I think this is a book that stick with children into adulthood. ( )
  ekorominas | Mar 24, 2019 |
Beatrix Potter seems to be with me from my earliest memories. I cannot recall the initial encounter with the books but the animals are my ultimate nostalgic childhood book characters. I still own a fabric cut out doll of a rabbit that I named Peter Cottontail -a curious name combination of 2 separate characters. I happily share this British countryside tradition with my daughter. ( )
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
Despite his mother’s warnings, Peter Rabbit enters Mr. McGregor’s garden. After Peter Rabbit eats lettuce, French beans, and radishes, he feels ill. On his way to find some parsley, Mr. McGregor spots Peter Rabbit. Mr. McGregor chases Peter Rabbit all around his garden and Peter Rabbit eventually jumps into a watering can. Finally, Peter Rabbit gets away, losing his shoes and jacket in the process, and rushes home. Peter Rabbit is so exhausted and does not feel well. He is sent to bed with some camomile tea while his siblings enjoy bread, milk, and blackberries for supper. This beautifully illustrated classic story teaches the reader about listening and the negative effects of not following instructions. ( )
  carrieludwig | Feb 18, 2019 |
Peter Rabbit is off to Mr. McGregor's garden against the advise of his mother. He must run, hide and escape once Mr. McGregor spots Peter. Though he looses his shoes and little jacket, Peter Rabbit makes it home safely. ( )
  askauge | Feb 3, 2019 |

Ruth, RodIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saludes, Esperanza G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warne, FrederickIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
ONCE upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were ⁠Flopsy, ⁠Mopsy, ⁠Cotton-tail, and Peter.
I have been separating the hieroglyph edition from other versions of Peter Rabbit, but it keeps getting combined again. I hold that the group of people who want to read a hieroglyphic version is rather different from average Beatrix Potter fans and therefore the "cocktail party" test applies.

-setnahkt

"The reproductions in this book have been made using the most modern electronic scanning methods from entirely new transparencies of Beatrix Potter's original watercolors. [...] This edition with new reproductions first published 1987." T.p verso

The Dover Spanish/English coloring book contains the entire original text, translated.
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0723247706, Hardcover)

The quintessential cautionary tale, Peter Rabbit warns naughty children about the grave consequences of misbehaving. When Mrs. Rabbit beseeches her four furry children not to go into Mr. McGregor's garden, the impish Peter naturally takes this as an open invitation to create mischief. He quickly gets in over his head, when he is spotted by farmer McGregor himself. Any child with a spark of sass will find Peter's adventures remarkably familiar. And they'll see in Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail that bane of their existence: the "good" sibling who always does the right thing. One earns bread and milk and blackberries for supper, while the obstinate folly of the other warrants medicine and an early bedtime.

Beatrix Potter's animal stories have been a joy to generations of young readers. Her warm, playful illustrations in soft colors invite children into the world of words and flights of fancy. Once there, she gently and humorously guides readers along the path of righteousness, leaving just enough room for children to wonder if that incorrigible Peter will be back in McGregor's garden tomorrow. (Ages Baby to Preschool)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:29 -0400)

Naughty Peter Rabbit disobeys his mother by going into Mr. McGregor's garden and almost gets caught.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0723247706, 0723257930, 0723258767, 0723267693, 072326841X, 0723268568

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676497, 1909676500

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,585,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible