Rose Blanche (1985)

by Christophe Gallaz, Roberto Innocenti (Illustrator)

During World War II, a young German girl's curiosity leads her to discover something far more terrible than the day-to-day hardships and privations that she and her neighbors have experienced.

This story is told through the eyes of a young German girl, Rose Blanche, who is a witness to the immense changes occurring in Nazi Germany. Her curiosity leads her outside her town where she discovers a concentration camp. Rose Blanche secretly brings food to the children behind the barbed-wire fence. Warning, has sad ending. ( )
  dianalara2 | Nov 15, 2020 |
Rose Blanche lives in a small town in Germany. She notices that her town has become full of soldiers and trucks. One day she decides to follow one of the trucks into a forest until she stumbles upon something terrible. This story is about the Holocaust from the point of view of a young German girl. The illustrations in this book are incredibly detailed and moving. I found the story to be sad. I think it would be very hand navigating introducing a book like this to elementary students. Although I enjoyed this book, I don’t think I would use it to introduce the Holocaust to young students. ( )
  slserpas | May 8, 2020 |
Rose Blanche is a young girl living in Nazi Germany. Blinded by her childhood innocence, Rose is oblivious to what is happening around her until she follows a truck filled with children to a concentration camp. When she realizes everyone is starving, she sneaks them food up until the day she meets her tragic end. A heartbreaking tale about the consequences of war, I thought this book was great. The changes in point of view are impactful, especially after Rose's untimely death. I would read this book to any grade to give a different perspective on the Holocaust. I highly recommend this to people of any age and I think people who support war could benefit from reading it, as it shows how negatively and inevitably the innocent are impacted. ( )
  SophiaLCastillo | Feb 9, 2020 |
Nazi's are taking truckloads of children? She follows the trucks to a concentration camp where she sees the children behind the barbed wire fence. She visits daily taking the children's food until one day everything is gone and she ends up finding herself in harm's way and dies. Who killed Rose Blanche? Was it the enemy or was it by mistake? We may never know! Rose Blanche loses her red bow which symbolizes her innocents once she has witnessed all that the Nazis were responsible for. It is sad how many people lost their lives due to such hate! ( )
  KRWallace | Nov 12, 2019 |
Rose Blanche is an interesting and fascinating look at WW2 and the abdication of Jews and the Holocaust seen from the eyes and perspective of a young German girl. Rose sees the war as a child would, without subjective influence and through a child's eyes. She ventures out amongst the forest to follow a truck taking a young boy and others to a concentration camp, and in horror spends the rest of the war helping to feed the survivors of the camp secretly. The book in a short time takes us through the beginning and end of the war with stunning detail as if you were a witness to it yourself. What I find fascinating is how accurate it pictures the speed to which these atrocities were occurring and how a it takes a child to see how horrendous and evil humans can become. It also plays to the history of the White Rose, an underground german resistance movement made up of German university students actively opposing the Nazi regime at home. ( )
  W.Arute | Nov 2, 2019 |

Gallaz, ChristopheAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Innocenti, RobertoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McEwan, IanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When wars begin people often cheer.
My name is Rose Blanche. (from the U.S. edition, translator not identified)

There are three editions of Rose Blanche, Roberto Innocenti’s picturebook portrayal of a young girl who discovers a Nazi concentration camp on the outskirts of her German city. The original text, written in French by Christophe Gallaz to accompany Innocenti’s illustrations, was translated into English and published in the United States; this text is compared with the British text, rewritten by Ian McEwan, and the German text, translated by Abraham Teuter. An examination of differences in the three texts demonstrates some of the ways in which cultural, aesthetic, national, ideological, pedagogical, and economic issues influence the translation of a children’s book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,529,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible