No death, no fear by Thich Nhat Hanh

No death, no fear

by Thich Nhat Hanh

Enjoyable, short, targeted, and circularly written. This didn't speak to me as a whole -- lots of existing ideas repackaged -- but there were three areas of particular meaning to me:

1) A parallel between waves being birthed, living, having concerns about their role and where they were going, and dying -- with a change in perspective offered that if we remember the underlying waterness of them all, then that is enough.

2) Burning a candle so far that is gone. This does not mean that the candle is entirely gone. It has just changed in manifestation. Again, we can change perspective away from a time-based perspective into a horizontal, effects-on-other-things perspective, and we see that it became energy, light, and heat, and we could measure these effects going out arbitrary distances with the right equipment and science. In other words, it is still there, just in a different manifestation to the one we are seeking and expecting.

3) A guided meditation (which I am reproducing in this listing within the set of quotations from the book) that matches thoughts to breaths in clear patterns and forces attention on the unavoidability of old age, sickness, and death. We leave behind only the consequences behind our actions, which we cannot escape and which will persist despite old age, sickness, and death.

Sometimes I am bothered by the loose, metaphor-based philosophical arguments of Buddhism and Thich Nhat Hanh; they seem to rely a bit too heavily on rhetorical sleight of hand. But I am also taken by them, because I recognize that looking for perfect logical consistency when the teaching is designed to illustrate a bigger, impossible concept entirely misses the point, and because the nuggets of wisdom at the core do speak to me. ( )
  pammab | Jan 9, 2017 |
A great resource if you're unsure of the concept of death and what lies beyond. I will be re-reading this as needed! ( )
  kristi_test_02 | Dec 6, 2016 |
  kristilabrie_tinycat | May 16, 2016 |
  kristilabrie | Jan 29, 2016 |
About the author: quoting from the inside of the book's back cover, "Since the age of sixteen [Thich Nhat Hanh] has been a Buddhist monk, a peace activist and a seeker of the way. He has survived persecution, three wars, and more than thirty years of exile.He is the master of a temple in Vietnam, the lineage of which goes back more than two thousand years and, indeed, is traceable to the Buddha himself. . .He led the Vietnamese Buddhist delegation at the Paris Peace Talks; and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr." The reviewer for 'Tricycle' said of this work, "With hard-won wisdom and refreshing insight, [the author] confronts a subject that has been contemplated by Buddhist monks and nuns for twenty-five-hundred years--and a question that has been pondered by almost anyone who has ever lived: What is death? In [this book], the acclaimed teacher and poet examines our concepts of death, fear, and the very nature of existence. Through Zen parables, guided meditations, and personal stories, he explodes traditional myths of how we live and die. Thich Nhat Hanh shows us a way to live a life unfettered by fear."
  uufnn | Jan 26, 2016 |
In my hermitage in France is a bush of japonica, Japanese quince. The bush usually blooms in the spring, but one winter it had been quite warm and the flower buds had come early. During the night a cold snap arrived ...
Breathing in, I am aware of my in-breath. / Breathing out, I am aware of my out-breath. // Breathing in, I am aware that I grow old. / Breathing out, I know I cannot escape old age. // Breathing in, I am aware of my nature to have ill health. / Breathing out, I know I cannot escape ill health. // Breathing in, I know I shall die. / Breathing out, I know I cannot escape death. // Breathing in, I know that one day I shall have to abandon all I love and cherish. / Breathing out, I know I cannot escape abandoning all I cherish. // Breathing in, I know that my actions of body, speech and mind are my only true belongings. / Breathing out, I know I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. // Breathing in, I determine to live my days deeply in mindfulness. / Breathing out, I see the joy and benefit of living in the present moment. // Breathing in, I vow to offer joy each day to my beloved. / Breathing out, I vow to ease the pain of my beloved.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 071265707X, Paperback)

Thich Nhat Hanh always invites us to look deeply, and he does so once again in No Death, No Fear. Recognizing interconnections, Nhat Hanh brings us to beginnings, how they depend on endings, and how they are but temporary manifestations. Everything endures, he says, but in different forms. And this isn't just a palliative to make us feel better for a while--Nhat Hanh's philosophy of Interbeing takes the long view, challenging us to open our eyes to subtle transformations. He shows how extraordinary things happen when we are fully present with others and at peace with ourselves, both of which require openness and deep looking. In his bestselling style of easy prose, compelling anecdotes, and pragmatic advice, Nhat Hanh gradually drains the force out of grief and fear, transforming them into happiness and insightful living. Death doesn't have to be a roadblock, and in No Death, No Fear Thich Nhat Hanh shows us the way around. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:49 -0400)

Addressing a human fear of nothingness after death, the author explains how readers can conquer fears and live happier lives through a close examination of who we are and how we live.

68 wanted4 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,244,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible