Humpty Dumpty: An Oval (1996)

by Damon Knight

When Wellington Stout is shot in the head in a restaurant in Milan, the bullet shatters not only his skull but the surface of reality itself. Suddenly Stout is falling through a world turned inside out, encountering extraterrestrial shoe salesmen, a mystical cabal of dentists, and an invading army from the planet Mongo. A New York Times Notable Book of 1996 in its first softcover edition.… (more)

I officially have no idea what on earth this book was about and very little clear idea of what happened. It was less a novel and more like someone else's dream written down, constantly shifting and changing in nature without ever connecting from chapter to chapter. I had a particularly hard time keeping track of details whenever I picked it up again after putting it down for a day or two. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
A fractured novel of a mind in chaos. I'm not sure that I understood the point of the whole work, but I liked its many shards. ( )
  wirkman | Apr 9, 2007 |

Damon Knightprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eshkar ShelleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My ears were made keen by always listening. Often, wherever I was, even at the top of the house, I waited motionless for the enormous clock to strike, lest the boom take me by surprise. -- Robert Aickman, 'The Fetch'
For Chris and Rosanne
Mimmuzmaz. Kunruht: somebody was snoring.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,369,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible