S is for Space (1966)

by Ray Bradbury

This is a collection of short stories from the pen of Ray Bradbury.

A beautiful retro edition of a classic short story collection ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 16, 2016 |
Bradbury starts this collection off with a rather interesting introduction. I could quote the whole thing since it is all
interesting, but I'll just pull out a few bits which tickled me:

"Jules Verne was my father."

"I lived up in the trees with Tarzan a good part of my life with my hero Edgar Rice Burroughs. When I swung down out of the foliage I asked for a toy typewriter during my twelfth year at Christmas. On this rattletrap machine I wrote my first John Carter, Warlord of Mars imitation sequels, ..."

"So here in this new collection of stories you will find not only S is for Space, but a series of subtitles that might well
read: D is for Dark, or T is for Terrifying, or D is for Delight. Here you will find just about every side of my nature and my life..."

- Ray Bradbury , December 1, 1965

The included stories are:

1 • Introduction (S Is for Space) • (1965)
3 • Chrysalis • (1946)
27 • Pillar of Fire • (1948)
69 • Zero Hour • (1947)
81 • The Man • (1949)
95 • Time in Thy Flight • (1953)
101 • The Pedestrian • (1951)
107 • Hail and Farewell • (1953)
117 • Invisible Boy • (1945)
127 • Come Into My Cellar • (1962) (aka Boys! Raise Giant Mushrooms in Your Cellar!)
145 • The Million-Year Picnic • (1946)
157 • The Screaming Woman • (1951)
173 • The Smile • (1952)
179 • Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed • (1949) (aka The Naming of Names)
195 • The Trolley • (1955)
201 • The Flying Machine • (1953)
207 • Icarus Montgolfier Wright • (1956)

These stories are older ones of Bradbury's, but mostly written during his best years. As he indicated in his introduction, these stories are all over the place for subject and style. The majority of the stories to me were OK, with only a few duds or weak ones (such as "Pillar of Fire"). Some like the starter, "Chrysalis" had a really cool premise but then sort of frustrated me with the telling and an odd ending. I've had trouble with Bradbury endings before. "Pillar of Fire" begins so ridiculously that it was impossible to take it seriously. A man, a zombie I suppose, although he is referred to as a vampire here and there, arises from a grave, looks at his tombstone, then looks at the positions of the stars and declares the exact year 400 some years after his death and declares he's been re-born. Then he apparently decides he has to go kill everybody. Really. Sheesh. The crazy thing is, I kept reading the story despite it being so ridiculous. I guess my curiosity was piqued. Bradbury had some things to say about society in this story but it was built around a really stupid story.

There were enough interesting ideas and stories in the collection to make it a worthwhile read. I didn't think there were any "WOW" stories in this collection and the stories felt dated in many different ways, as does much of Bradbury in general. Several that I liked better than the others included "The Screaming Woman," and two set on Mars, "The Million Year Picnic," and "Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed." I liked "The Trolley" a lot and believe it is a chapter in Dandelion Wine.

There is a real dystopian spin on the majority of these stories. Bradbury is not optimistic about the future with Atomic Wars and oppressive societies. "The Smile" about a crowd destroying a famous painting as hate for the state of the world gone to ruin says a lot. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 21, 2015 |
Please, LibraryThing users! It's just not possible that over 300 of you own this edition of the book! This is a signed, limited edition. Only 200 copies were printed in this particular format. I take great care to identify which edition I have purchased before selecting which one to use on this site. I wish everyone would take similar care in using this site. ( )
  hodosano | Jul 14, 2010 |
Another collection of scifi, fantasy & horror from Bradbury. Quite a few of these stories appear in volumes by him I'd already read. ( )
  marek2009 | Dec 24, 2009 |
Another of Bradbury's excellent short story collections, though not quite as famous as The Illustrated Man or Martian Chronicles. ( )
  Karlstar | Oct 15, 2009 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Plaschka, OliverTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Beaumont
who lived in that little house
halfway up in the next block
most of my life.

And for Bill Nolan
and Bill Idelson, friend of Rush Gook,
and for Paul Condylis...

Because...
Rockwell didn’t like the room’s smell.
Jules Verne was my father. (Introduction)

This is a collection of short stories from the pen of Ray Bradbury.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,498,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible