Three hearts and three lions by Poul…

Three hearts and three lions (1961)

by Poul Anderson

Series: Holger Danske (1)

830None10,871 (3.62)27
Recently added byKat_Hooper, Colona, private library, wolfepack, steelprimate, dsp501, pattykins42, rfoley412

English (16)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (17)
I'd already read a small amount about Ogier the Dane, before encountering this work, and I never warmed up to it. I've got a copyright date of 1951 for this book, and its clumsy WWII tie-in was a final nail in the coffin. I'm glad this is just one of Poul Anderson's books. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 12, 2013 |
This is an entertaining tale of a twentieth century man, Holger Carlsen, suddenly plunged into a magical medieval world where he gains a dwarf and a swan-may as companions and Morgan le Fay as his adversary, along the way battling werewolves, trolls, elves and giants. I do like the way Carlsen's knowledge as an engineer comes into play, as in this encounter with a dragon:

Downward the monster slanted, overhauling them with nightmare speed. Holger glanced back again and saw smoke and flame roll from the fanged mouth. For a lunatic moment he wondered about the metabolism, and what amendment to the square-cube law permitted that hulk to fly?

Similarly he deduces the curse on a purse of gold must be due to the radioactivity of transmutation. A lot of the humor comes from a modern, scientific man's struggles to make sense of the fairy tale setting. At the same time there's something old-fashioned in the sensibility of this book published in 1953. It struck me reading this that in recent decades fantasy has taken on New Age assumptions about the sources and overall benignity of magic. This is a tale where witches are sinister figures and wielding a cross and having Christian prayers on your lips can avert evil. That made it rather refreshing in some ways from the contemporary works in fantasy--like reading a story where vampires are bloodsucking fiends rather than a dream date. There are touches of Mallory speak ("hight" and "oft" and the like) but that doesn't keep it from reading fast--and it's pretty short, not much longer than 200 pages in mass paperback. I did enjoy this, although not in a way I would read it again. So fun, entertaining, but not for me a keeper. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | Jul 22, 2013 |
I was already partway through The Broken Sword, which is deeply inspired by Norse sagas, when I accidentally picked this book up -- I only meant to read a couple of pages, figure out how long it might take me to read it. I ended up reading it pretty much all in one go, in less than two hours total. I found it more absorbing than The Broken Sword -- though admittedly I read Three Hearts and Three Lions when I was bright and awake, and when I started The Broken Sword it was nearly bedtime -- and though I'm more impressed, I think, with what he did with the Norse influence on The Broken Sword, I think I liked this one more. Still, I shouldn't really judge until I've finished The Broken Sword, and I just promptly looked up the titles of his other fantasy novels.

What did I love about this? I noticed how influential it seems to have been, seeing elements I've seen elsewhere (for example, going to another world and turning out to be the champion of it, and the way the two worlds impact on each other, reminded me of Stephen Lawhead's Paradise War books). I was impressed by the fact that it took the Matter of France for the backdrop: I think I've only read one other non-medieval text which drew on the stories of Charlemagne, at least in a way that I recognised. I love the Matter of Britain, but it does get used an awful lot. There was a blend of fairytale type mythology here, of course, including at least one aspect from the Matter of Britain, but that the central characters were strongly linked to the Matter of France struck me as interesting.

I quite liked the way it referenced science and literature from our world, too, e.g. when fighting the dragon, the blade made of magnesium, etc.

I suppose now it does read as something dated -- more so than his contemporary, Tolkien, given that he mentions Nazism and the like -- but I loved it all the same. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Quick light read; quite fun but the dodgy accents (Celtic brogues of various sorts) were a bit poor. Reminded me rather of [a:Fletcher Pratt|277806|Fletcher Pratt|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-M-50x66.jpg] and [a:L Sprague de Camp|5755878|L Sprague de Camp|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg]'s [b:The Compleat Enchanter|740351|The Compleat Enchanter (Millennium Fantasy Masterworks S.)|Fletcher Pratt|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1177891680s/740351.jpg|894589], which was on balance better I think, though it's been a while since I re-read that. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |
The tale of a Danish man whipped out of battle during World War II and plonked down in the middle of a fantasy world where he is seen as a great knight. Drawing on medieval romances, it thankfully eschews the worst of Ye Olde Time cliches and delivers an entertaining story that's a clever melding of fantasy and science fiction. At times it was also quite funny (especially during the riddle contest - you simply don't expect to read 'why did the chicken cross the road?' jokes in a medieval setting!). I liked the protagonist's healthy scepticism, and how he (mostly) preserved his phlegmatic and rational mindset, and I also appreciated how Alianora the Swan-may wasn't simply a love interest, but was an integral part of the action. I suspect this relatively little-known book has had a large influence on the fantasy writing that came after it. ( )
  salimbol | May 15, 2012 |

Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Power, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodroffe, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Robert and Karen Hertz
After so much time has passed, I feel obliged to write this down.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible