Disappointment with God (1988)

by Philip Yancey

Philip Yancey has a gift for articulating the knotty issues of faith. In Disappointment with God, he poses three questions that Christians wonder but seldom ask aloud: Is God unfair? Is he silent? Is he hidden? This insightful and deeply personal book points to the odd disparity between our concept of God and the realities of life. Why, if God is so hungry for relationship with us, does he seem so distant? Why, if he cares for us, do bad things happen? What can we expect from him after all? Yancey answers these questions with clarity, richness, and biblical assurance. He takes us beyond the things that make for disillusionment to a deeper faith, a certitude of God's love, and a thirst to reach not just for what God gives, but for who he is.… (more)

English (15)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (16)
Light network
  Jillstem | Jan 13, 2021 |
  Fellowshipwc | Sep 23, 2020 |
Philip Yancey asks three questions in this book about God and why he doesn't intervene in the here and now. Through examination of the Bible, Yancey finds that God used to do just that. These actions didn't foster faith or respect from his people though. After a while, the people went back to their old ways.

Surely a giant display of power would convert a ton of people right? Everyone would follow that thing and believe. Yancey argues that this is not so, and uses the Bible as demonstrable proof to that effect. Even as Jesus, God didn't do things like turn stones to bread and other stuff, even if he could. Jesus and by extension God, wanted our love and respect, not our fawning devotion.

It answered some of my questions about God being a jerk, but I still don't really like the Bible all that much. Also, I don't really trust it as a source of divine inspiration or anything like that. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Spiritual Growth
  Glenda_Wilkins102 | Nov 16, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book, even though the readability was a bit tedious. It deals with the topic of how sometimes (or most times) we feel like God isn't near us. We go through tough times and wonder where God is in all of that, but really, another way to view it is where are we in all of this? What is our response to God when we endure heartache or disease?

Many people want to see God, to have miracles happen all the time, to have every prayer answered. Philip Yancey gives some good arguments as to why God doesn't do this. It's not because he doesn't care or he's not powerful. It's because back in the day, when he did those things with the Israelites, they turned away from Him. A really interesting way of thinking about things, though. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
For my brother,

who is still disappointed
After I had begun work on this project, I received phone calls from a few people in my church who had heard about it.

Zondervan

2 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 031021436X, 0310517818

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,289,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible