Disappointment with God (1988)

by Philip Yancey

Philip Yancey has a gift for articulating the knotty issues of faith. In Disappointment with God, he poses three questions that Christians wonder but seldom ask aloud: Is God unfair? Is he silent? Is he hidden? This insightful and deeply personal book points to the odd disparity between our concept of God and the realities of life. Why, if God is so hungry for relationship with us, does he seem so distant? Why, if he cares for us, do bad things happen? What can we expect from him after all? Yancey answers these questions with clarity, richness, and biblical assurance. He takes us beyond the things that make for disillusionment to a deeper faith, a certitude of God's love, and a thirst to reach not just for what God gives, but for who he is.… (more)

English (18)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (19)
When I first read this in 1999, I thought it was an excellent and inspiring book. It looks at people who have felt let down by God. Focussing on the book of Job, the three main questions asked are: Is God hidden? Is he silent? Is he fair?

There are no clichés or pat answers, but several honest attempts to find some meaning and reason in the apparently random quirks of life.

On second reading, ten years later, I did not find it so inspiring... possibly because I remembered much of the contents so there was nothing new. And on my third reading, I thought it encouraging and a great reminder.

Recommended to anyone who has found God or the Christian life disappointing, or who has friends asking difficult questions on this topic.

Latest full review: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2022/07/disappointment-with-god-by-philip-y... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jul 25, 2022 |
In Disappointment with God, he poses three questions that Christians wonder but seldom ask aloud: Is God unfair? Is he silent? Is he hidden?This insightful and deeply personal book points to the odd disparity between our concept of God and the realities of life.
1 vote | StFrancisofAssisi | Nov 4, 2021 |
Case 13 shelf 4
  semoffat | Aug 31, 2021 |
Light network
  Jillstem | Jan 13, 2021 |
1 vote | Fellowshipwc | Sep 23, 2020 |
For my brother,

who is still disappointed
After I had begun work on this project, I received phone calls from a few people in my church who had heard about it.

Zondervan

2 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 031021436X, 0310517818

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,833,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible