Living Next Door to the God of Love by…

Living Next Door to the God of Love

by Justina Robson

Series: Natural History (2)

"Metropolis is a city of superheroes where you can become anyone you like, fighting all day, partying till dawn ... Sankhara is a universe where everything is remade by night, according to the inhabitants' deepest, darkest dreams ... Koker Ai exists in another time and space, where Intana, less favoured courtesan in the court of a decaying empire, has just discovered a warrior who cannot die ... Jalaeka has been many things in his short lifetime: a war captive, a prostitute, a pilgrim, a pirate, a physics student, and even a princess in a glass coffin. Now he's looking for someone to make him into something better, for the entity which created him is coming to take him back. It has consumed a million worlds, a billion lifeforms. Its power is unrivalled, its evolution relentless." "Francine is a fifteen-year-old runaway, out to find a definition of love she can believe in. She finds a palace whose rooms are made of bone, flowers and the hearts of heroes. She finds a scientist looking for the lost light of the universe. She finds herself at the centre of an unstoppable conflict which began long before she was born. And she finds a new boyfriend."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

minus points for pronouns and underaged love interests ( )
  ansate | Jan 25, 2015 |
My contact with string theory is tenuous at best, and I don't understand it in the slightest.

Nevertheless it would be easy to describe this as an omnisexual romance about string theory. You could also easily describe it as a fantastical, multiversal investigation into the nature of deity and the relationship between deity and worshipper. You could also describe it as a quixotic fantasy in hard SF clothes.

There are flaws - many of the characters are ciphers and it's not really clear why they're there, except the author seemed to think it would be cool, but for all that, a thoroughly enjoyable read. ( )
2 vote lewispike | Oct 10, 2007 |
I think some people would consider this book genius. I am not one of them. I don't think it's bad either: Robson is a good, technical writer with some lovely poetry to her prose. But I really can't decide one way or the other how I feel about this book, and right now, I have more complaints than praises.

For a full review, which may or may not include spoilers, please click here: http://calico-reaction.livejournal.com/13106.html ( )
  devilwrites | Aug 24, 2007 |
Lovely writing and inventive plot. I didn't like it as much as Natural History and found it confusing at times, but it was an enjoyable ride. ( )
  jobbi | May 12, 2007 |

Justina Robsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Freda Warrington Now, or never
There's a kind of hush all over the world tonight: the sound of lovers in love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible