dismiss

My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

My Name Is Asher Lev (1972)

by Chaim Potok

Series: Asher Lev (1)

Asher Lev is the artist who painted the sensational 'Brooklyn Crucifixion.' Into it her poured all the anguish and torment a Jew can feel when torn between the faith of his fathers and the calling of his art. Here Asher Lev plunges back into his childhood and recounts the story of love and conflict which dragged him to this crossroads.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, PeterLawrenceRoberts, JCLD01, MahiShafiullah, CindyGraham, Yeshiyahu, vernaye, Latesa, iambriam, Phaer1
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose
    Peace Shall Destroy Many by Rudy Wiebe (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Young men in conflict with their culture
    What's Bred in the Bone by Robertson Davies (cf66)
    cf66: Entrambi romanzi sulla formazione artistica e spirituale d'un pittore.

English (65)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (70)
This was a very well written book with just enough information. The passions of the characters were very extreme, but they were portrayed in a way so that I could empathize with them. The subjects of the paintings fit in beautifully with the Asher's dilemmas. ( )
  suesbooks | Apr 9, 2020 |
I loved this tale narrated by Asher Lev. He tells the reader of his childhood in Brooklyn, New York as the son of fundamentalist Jew. Asher doesn't quite fit the mould. He shows amazing talent as an artist from a young age and struggles with the traditional teaching methods. These days he would probably be diagnosed as being on the Asperger's / autism spectrum. His father works for the Rebbe the leader of the sect and travels widely setting up new groups throughout the United States and Europe. His mother suffers a breakdown following the sudden death of her brother and when Asher refuses to move to Europe with his parents, she remains in Brooklyn with him. She suffers bouts of anxiety. Meanwhile, when Asher's talent is recognized, the Rebbe approves him having lessons and guidance from a non-practising Jewish acquaintance, provided he continues to abide by and respect the laws of the Ladover Jews. However the study of art history leads him into knowledge of the gentile view of the world. Will he remain loyal to his sect or his artistic talent and risk losing his family's love and trust? ( )
1 vote HelenBaker | Jun 21, 2019 |
Classic novel of NY Hassidic Jewish boy who wants to be an artist but it conflicts with his family values. I enjoyed all the religious detail and the struggle that was central to the story ( )
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
There are so many good things to say about this book. Other reviewers have mentioned many of them. To paraphrase the author, "Someone once said that there are things about which one ought to write a great deal or nothing at all. About this book, I choose to write nothing at all." ( )
  quietman66 | Mar 6, 2019 |
A wonderful novel on so many levels. The writing is fine and vivid. You can feel what it is like living in that family, in that community. Every character has depth.

I learnt about Judaism, art and art criticism. I learnt about the problems art can create in such an environment. I understood better the power some art can have.

Even some of the finest art historians can struggle to describe for you the image they can see, but I saw all Asher Lev's paintings, even though he rarely offered up the colours.

This 320 pages are epic.

I am looking forward to the sequel landing on the mat.

A 5* book so early in the year! ( )
2 vote Caroline_McElwee | Jan 27, 2019 |

Chaim Potokprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nijgh, LennaertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth." -Picasso
My name is Asher Lev, the Asher Lev, about whom you have read in newspapers and magazines, about whom you talk so much at your dinner affairs and cocktail parties, the notorious and legendary Lev of the Brooklyn Crucifixion.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140036423, 0141190566

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,371,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible