Seeing Things: An Autobiography by Oliver…

Seeing Things: An Autobiography (2000)

by Oliver Postgate

Oliver Postgate wrote, narrated and filmed Bagpuss, The Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Noggin the Nog and Pogle's Wood, among many others. This autobiography covers his years as a conscientious objector, farmer, inventor and filmmaker.

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
eBooks, Library Book, Autobiography, Childhood, Trams, Shopping, Housekeepers,

Engine, Noggin the Nog, Vision On, Watch with Mother, Pogles' Wood, The Soup

Dragon, ( )
  Wraith_Ravenscroft | Sep 29, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was initially drawn to this book as a means of learning more about the history of childhood favourites such as The Clangers and Noggin the Nog. However I think I would have been fascinated by and warmed to the character revealed here even if I had no previous awareness of his animated creations.

Postgate was a natural storyteller and this comes across clearly in this autobiography. Describing his childhood in a prominent, socialist family, the young Oliver comes across as bright, creative, inventive, adorable and sometimes exasperating. This is actually, more or less, the impression I was left with throughout the book!

The scenes which suggest that Postgate's father favoured his older brother were poignant but he must have been well loved by his mother. How else could she have accepted with such grace the constant stream of presents, personally invented and created by Oliver as a young adult which included washing machines which were prone to exploding?!

I found it fascinating to read about how Postgate applied his creativity, intelligence and social conscience throughout his life. His "smallfilms" were only part of the story. I did get the impression that personal relationships was the area where Postgate wasn't quite so smart. There were definite touches of naivity here even in older age.

Overall I am left feeling deep respect and affection for, and gratitude to, the man who added so much to my childhood and to the childhoods of so many of my generation! ( )
2 vote Soupdragon | Apr 26, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a light-hearted memoir/biography of the man behind children’s TV favourites such as Bagpuss, Ivor the Engine and The Clangers.

Oliver Postgate has written the story of his life and it was an extraordinary one. From adventures as a young boy at school to becoming a conscientious objector during WWII, he was always tinkering, inventing and thinking about things. One of the most interesting things about this book was Postgate’s commentaries and thoughts on the issues of the time and what he felt about them.

I read the first half of this book fairly slowly, dipping in and out every few chapters but in the second half of the book Postgate starts to talk about his time writing and filming the children’s programmes he became so famous for and this is where the book really shines; you can tell that he really found his niche here and did some really amazing things.

Although I was slightly too young to remember all the children’s programmes he made, I enjoyed reading this book and it has inspired me to find out more about the programmes he created. You can see a BBC tribute to Postgate here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAftt3UnzoI ( )
4 vote souloftherose | Dec 19, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a fascinating book and once I started reading it I didn't want to put it down. Because Ivor the Engine, the Clangers, Noggin the Nog and Bagpuss are great favourites of mine I especially liked those sections about how Oliver Postgate and his co-creator Peter Firman created the characters and made the films. But I also thought the sections where he reveals his thoughts and emotions are particularly moving.

An exceptional life; a truly creative and inventive man. ( )
  BooksPlease | Dec 8, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I came to this at some disadvantage because I didn't grow up with Bagpuss or Noggin the Nog and only knew Ivor the Engine and the Clangers when grandparents got them for my children. I was completely entranced by Postgate -- artist and mad inventor, pacifist and collector of old cars, houses, you name it. Wildly eccentric in the very best sense of the word. ( )
  golux1 | Nov 3, 2010 |
On a dull day in the early 1990s, I took the number 13 bus to Hendon, got off at the corner of Shirehall Lane and walked along it towards the house where I was born.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Oliver Postgate's book Seeing Things was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847678408, 1847678416

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,844,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible