Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Stations of the Tide by Michael Swanwick

Stations of the Tide (1991)

by Michael Swanwick

Exquisitely written, profound and perplexing "literary" science fiction novel.

I found it hard at times to tell which parts of the narrative were "real", which were drug-induced visions, and which were taking place in cyperspace. The author forces you to figure this out, just as he forces you to piece together the details of the far-future, space-based setting without much exposition (and even as the protagonists is forced to sort through his moral and psychological conundrums.)

A lot of effort, but ultimately worth it. ( )
  JackMassa | Jan 24, 2019 |
More of a 4.5 (please, Goodreads, give us a finger grain for judging!)

As I read it reminded me of a less impenetrable Gene Wolfe--and once I finished, and read the back cover, sure enough Mr. Wolfe was quoted in praise of the novel. Beautiful writing, a lot of elision, at times very disturbing, somewhat funny, very phantasmagorical, but always extremely well-written and attention-holding.

Knocked it down to 4 rather than up to 5 as 5 is for my all-time favourites, and while I think this is a pretty wonderful, pretty special book, I didn't feel emotionally invested in the characters enough to find this a favourite. But will happily seek out more from the same writer, he's a pleasure to read. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
It’s futuristic magic realism, if such a thing could be. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Feb 26, 2018 |
Ugh.  Too surreal & confusing for me.  I put it down at p. 103/252 and do not want to pick it up again.  I only got that far because I was reading it w/ the GR group FoF.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
More coherant than [book: Dragons of Babel], less emotionally wrenching than [book: The Iron Dragon's Daughter], but just as stuffed with innovation and imagination as all of Swanwick's work. An unnamed bureaucrat is sent to a Miranda to investigate possible stolen technology. Miranda is a colony world, forbidden to have any advanced technology, which has led to intense resentment and a thriving subculture of bush wizards. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Michael Swanwickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Horne, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author is indebted to David Hartwell for suggesting where to look, Stan Robinson for the gingerbread-mandrake trick, Tim Sullivan and Greg Frost for early comments and Greg Frost again for designing the briefcase's nanotechnics, Gardner Dozois for chains of the sea and for treaching the bureaucrat how to survive, Marianne for insights into bureaucracy, Bob Walters for dino parts, Alice Guerrant fdor whale wallows and Tidewater features, Sean for the game of Suicide, Don Keller for nominal assistance, Jack and Jeanne Dann for the quote from Bruno, which I took from their hotel room when they weren't looking, and Giulio Camillo for his memory theater, here expanded to a palace; Camillo was one of the most famous men of his century, a thought which should give us all pause. Any book's influences are too numerous to mention, but riffs lifted from C.L. Moore, Dylan Thomas, Brian Aldiss, Tedd Hughes, and Jamaica Kincaid are too blatant to pass unacknowledged. This novel was written under a Challenge Grant from the M.C. Porter Endowment for the Arts.
The bureaucrat fell from the sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380817616, Mass Market Paperback)

Genius renegade scientist and bush wizard, Gregorian, has come to the planet Miranda with magic and forbidden technology, planning to remake the planet in his own evil image. Unless he can be stopped, whatever remains on Miranda will spiral towards death and transcendence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible