The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

The Black Stallion (1941)

by Walter Farley

Series: Black Stallion (1)

3,230452,541 (4.02)1 / 137

English (44)  Finnish (1)  All languages (45)
A favorite author when I was a young girl
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
A boy and a horse survive shipwreck and become friends. Later, they return together to the boy's home in New York, meet a retired racehorse trainer, and race the nation's two fastest Thoroughbreds. ( )
  Pferdina | Feb 1, 2019 |
When I was about 10 years old, I lived in a brown stone row house in Philadelphia. It was a few years before they planted trees on our block. We had about a 10 by 10-foot slab of concrete for a back yard. When I read The Black Stallion by Walter Farley, I fell in love with horses and horse stories. I doubt I had ever seen a live horse by then. But I loved that book so much, it became a frequent companion. We had an alley between our house and a neighbor’s, and I begged my parents to let me have a horse, which I could stable in the alley. As time passed, I forgot about Farley and horse stories.

Recently, I began searching for nice, clean copies of Farley’s 41 stories. I have found about 6, but “The Black” as Farley named him, eluded me. Suddenly, I found a pristine copy of a new edition of Farley’s work. In every detail, it perfectly matched my memory. I sat down and red it again—complete with the original illustrations and dust jacket. I am going to intensify my search for others in the series.

The story line is a typical YA novel. A young boy, Alec Ramsey, is on a ship bound for home from an Arabian port on the red sea. Alec watches as the huge, magnificent stallion tries to break out of the hold, with no success. Then a storm comes, and the small ship is tossed up and down and all around. The ship began to sink. Alec and the other passengers abandoned the ship. Farley wrote, “When he came up, his first thought was of the ship; then he heard an explosion, and he saw the Drake settling deep into the water. Frantically, he looked around for a lifeboat, but there was none in sight. Then he saw the Black swimming not more than ten yards away. Something swished by him—a rope. And it was attached to the Black’s halter! The same rope they had used to bring the stallion aboard the boat, and which they had never been able to get close enough to the horse to untie. Without stopping to think, Alec grabbed hold of it. Then he was pulled through the water, out onto the open sea” (22). Ah, how those thrilling words came back to me.

Alec was ship wrecked on an uninhabited island. First, he tried to get close to the horse with no luck. He began to explore and found some fruit trees. Slowly the Black began to trust Alec, and they formed a heart-warming bond. He was able to build a fire, which spread to some trees. He ran to the shore. A ship saw the smoke. As they approached, the Black ran off. The sailors tried to convince Alec to leave the island without the Black. Farley writes, “Alec’s eyes blurred; he couldn’t see. He stumbled and fell and then clambered to his feet. Again, he rushed forward. Then they had their arms around him. // ‘For the love of St. Patrick,’ the man called Pat groaned, ‘he’s just a boy!’” Alec stubbornly refused to leave the island without the horse. Then the stallion appeared, and Alec mounted him. Farley wrote, “Approximately thirty yards away, Alec cane to a halt. ‘You just have to take us both, Captain! I can’t leave without him!’” he yelled” (59). Lots of exclamation points and lots of suspense.

Walter Farley’s, The Black Stallion, is a magnificent story for readers of all ages. It is a story sure to delight Texans who love horses. 5 stars

--Chiron, 9/11/18 ( )
  rmckeown | Jan 22, 2019 |
Fun story to read about relationship between animal and man, or boy in this case. The story is about a boy who notices a horse being mistreated in a ship. They find each other and create a bond when they are stranded on an island after the ship wrecks. He takes the horse with him to New York and finds that the stallion might actually be able to become a racing horse. He finds help to train the horse and races him.
I read this book when I was in elementary school with my class.
  pitaaortiz | Sep 5, 2018 |
With its unassuming opening,
"THE TRAMP steamer Drake plowed away from the coast of India and pushed its blunt prow into the Arabian Sea,
homeward bound" ... so begins an indelible adventure of friendship and love.

The Black Stallion reigns as a beloved classic to return to, again and again, for inspiration.

Alec Ramsey is the only human survivor of the shipwrecked Drake, thanks to his courage and strength
in holding the Black Stallion's rope. Together, they find fresh water and food on a tiny island until
their fortunate rescue.

Home in New York brings many challenges, a lot of love, happiness, and an unforgettable horse race. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jun 29, 2017 |

Farley, Walterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henstra, FrisoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mother, Dad and Bill
The tramp steamer Drake plowed away from the coast of India and pushed its blunt prow into the Arabian Sea, homeward bound.

First published in 1941, Walter Farley's best-selling novel for young readers is the triumphant tale of a boy and a wild horse. From Alec Ramsay and the Black's first meeting on an ill-fated ship to their adventures on a desert island and their eventual rescue, this beloved story will hold the rapt attention of readers new and old.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:28 -0400)

Young Alec Ramsay is shipwrecked on a desert island with a horse destined to play an important part in his life. Following their rescue their adventure continues in America.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,420,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible