The Jupiter Myth by Lindsey Davis

The Jupiter Myth (2002)

by Lindsey Davis

Series: Marcus Didius Falco (14)

603None16,219 (3.72)14

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
This one was decent, but Davis has written better installments. While The Jupiter Myth is a rather standard crime novel, Davis' Falco books in general stand out because of the background research that's gone into them, and how she blends modern sensitivities with an ancient worldview. That said, This Falco adventure specifically felt not independent enough for me: too many subplots and twists depend on characters brought back from earlier books.

Davis' depiction of late first-century Londinium is delightful, and had the book been carried more as a separate mystery rather than a sequel tying up old and loose ends I'd have enjoyed it more than I did. ( )
  Petroglyph | Jul 26, 2013 |
Marcus Didius Falco and his family are waiting to return to Rome after a successful investigation in Britain when a body is discovered in a bar well. Falco is an informant so he gets the job of investigating. Unfortunately, the dead man was one Falco knew - a criminal. And Falco soon learns that the death is associated with a criminal gang that seems to have virtually taken over Roman London. Falco's problems escalate when his wife adopts a teenaged runaway girl, and when Falco himself runs into Chloris, the lover he left behind - a beautiful acrobat who has become a female gladiator.
In the first century A.D., Roman Britain is still fresh, Rome is still an expanding power, and Britain is the ragged edge of Empire. Still, Roman customs are being introduced to Britain - baths, gladiators, olives, and wine. And the gods, of course. But it takes a while for Falco to determine that there is a connection between all of the wineshops, whorehouses, and theatres named after Jupiter. The connection is the gang - a gang that is another very Roman innovation in Britain. And it turns out that Falco and his best friend Petronius Longus had faced that gang before, back in Rome.
The description of ancient Romans living with ancient Britons is a vivid portrait of the age and the headaches of colonization. Marcus, formerly a man acquainted with the seamy side of life that old girlfriend Chloris represents, now finds himself going up against it again when he uncovers evidence that Verovolcus' death may be linked to organized crime through a wimp of a mob boss whom Tony Soprano would whack on the spot. Not only that, the wimp boss in question has a personal grudge against hero and Falco friend L. Petronius Longus, who in turn has a personal, intimate tension with Falco's widowed sister Maia, who, in true noir tradition, reportedly is kidnapped by the mob in the book's final third.

But all is not as it seems...and you'll have as much fun as I did deciphering the ending with Marcus and his cast of strong women. ( )
  Jawin | Oct 6, 2011 |
After finding a murderer at the King's Palace, Marcus finds him murdered in Londinium. Now the murder appears to be the work of a mob from Rome. The trail leads him to cross paths with a former girlfriend and old rival of his friend Petronius. Romance blooms for his sister, Maia before the case is solved. ( )
  nolak | Sep 21, 2010 |
After the events at Fishbourne in "A Body in the Bath House", Falco and his entourage go to stay with Helena Justina's aunt and uncle in Londinium, where soon after the body of the murderer from "A Body in the Bath House" is found in a well in a seedy dive. Falco has to investigate, and he uncovers evidence pointing to organised crime from Rome having arrived in Britain.

Lots of recurring characters pop up in this one, including an old flame of Falco's who has often been mentioned but we haven't met before. It's longer than most of the Falco series, and I did find it dragged a bit, but then the organised crime stories are not my favourites. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Sep 17, 2010 |
I know, I know. I couldn't help myself. I'm too tired to read anything other than this tasty, tasty trash. Some completely rubbish writing, but great to read when you can't be bothered thinking. ( )
  notmyrealname | May 19, 2010 |

Lindsey Davisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ginny, Who deserves it.
Now look here; you had better not expect half a page of sentimental guff. If you are a treasure and an inspiration and a dear friend who has suffered a year of stress, I shall certainly not say so. This is a British dedication, after all!
'It depends what we mean by civilisation', the procurator mused.

The latest book in the popular Marcus Didius Falco series - a classic noir tale of gangsters, gladiators, and romance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:39 -0400)

While visiting his wife's relatives in Britain, Roman sleuth Marcus Didius Falco confronts a diplomatic crisis when the body of King Togidubnus is found stuffed down a barroom well.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible