A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future (2006)

by Daniel H. Pink

3,204693,326 (3.98)32
The future belongs to a different kind of person with a different kind of mind: artists, inventors, storytellers-creative and holistic "right-brain" thinkers whose abilities mark the fault line between who gets ahead and who doesn't. Drawing on research from around the world, [the author] outlines the six fundamentally human abilities that are absolute essentials for professional success and personal fulfillment-and reveals how to master them. [The author] takes readers to a daring new place, and a provocative and necessary new way of thinking about a future that's already here.… (more)

3.5-4 stars out of 5 ...
Really nice and easy read. Convinces the reader why the next age is a conceptual age and those who will take the lead are "right-brainers" taking control of six senses outlined in the book along with ways of developing them to adapt to this new era.

Abundance, Asia, and Automation, as the author stresses, are 3 main reasons of why left-brainers are no longer sufficient to lead us through the coming age.

My main concern about the book is that although it convinces us that the 3 reasons are already in effect, it still leaves some questions unanswered.

For example, even if Asia will take over leaving more room for the shift to thinking creatively and emphasizing design, doesn't that mean that there's still a need of those left-brainers to get the job done in Asia? Apparently, the writer's focus was on the USA and the western world, but I would say, in a general sense, his points remain valid.

Other than that, it's quite convincing, and I recommend this little trip for all left-brainers.

Update: This is one of the books that I remember vividly and has had an effect on me in a few ways being one of the first non-fiction book I've ever read. So, I updated its rating to 5/5. ( )
  nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
Adult fiction. Carrying further along the lines of "the World is Flat," this book explains why the techy jobs we've so long labored to get are endangered (the abundance of affordable choices, the capable and cheaper tech. labor in Asia, and automation) and what skills are going to be in demand instead: design (in addition to function), story, symphony (fitting in with the big picture), empathy, play and meaning. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
An interesting book about how the next economy will opperate and who will be the power brokers. He posits that less liner, more holistic thinking will be crucial and that we will move away from the more left-brain, logic centric sort of worker and more toward the right-brain, creative thinker. He has a good case and I liked that he included some excercises that encourage this abused type of thinking! ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
Why design and creative thinking will become more valuable than logic. Sort of ground breaking at the time but may be more obvious as I write this in 2020.
  BizCoach | Jul 24, 2020 |
Great, practical advice for stretching some right-brain muscles. ( )
  szbuhayar | May 24, 2020 |

Daniel H. Pinkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ashing, Karinsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bais, Karoliensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daniel H. PinkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraisse, FrédériqueTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marinho, AlcindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have known strong minds, with imposing, undoubting, Cobbett-like manners; but I have never met a great mind of this sort. The truth is, a great mind must be androgynous.
—Samuel Taylor Coleridge
In memory of Mollie Lavin
The last few decades have belonged to a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mind—computer programmers who could crank code, lawyers who could craft contracts, MBAs who could crunch numbers.
The result: as the scut work gets off-loaded, engineers and programmers will have to master different aptitudes, relying more on creativity than competence, more on tacit knowledge than technical manuals, and more on fashioning the big picture than sweating the details.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,118,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible