dismiss

Are You My Mother?

by P. D. Eastman

A little bird asks animals, planes, and boats, "Are you my mother?" until he finds his own mother.

English (242)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (244)
A new born chick wonders who his mother is while he meets come characters throughout the story
  Lou_Sanz | Jul 5, 2020 |
I was a big fan of this one as a kid... then again, I think everyone I knew was a fan of it back then! "Are you my mother?" became something of a catchphrase. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
In my opinion, I enjoyed reading this book and looking at the different illustrations that were provided. Before going into detail about the specifics as to why I enjoyed this book, I wanted to have a better understanding of what the main idea of this story was. Overall, this story was about a young bird on a quest to find his mother (who he believed was lost). In short terms, the main idea of this story was to ensure young readers that we will always have a mother who will take care of us (even when our mother is not with us every minute of the day). Along with this, the reasons that I enjoyed reading this story include the fact that the language is geared towards young readers. Specifically, one piece of language that caught my attention was when the bird continuously asked "Are you my mother?" For children who are just beginning to read, repeating words will help them feel more confident in their abilities to read. Next, another reason that I enjoyed reading this story was due to the illustrations. Throughout each page, the illustrator decided to actively depict the bird's emotions every time he asked about his mother. It was evident that the bird started to become frustrated after asking multiple animals and things if they were his mother. Last, another reason that I enjoyed reading this book is because the author decided to write the book in first person point-of-view. When the bird would ask about his mother, he specifically said "Are you my mother"? Another example is when the bird said, "I will go and look for her" when he realized that his mother was not near. Writing in the first person point-of-view for young readers helps them feel more connected to the story plot. ( )
  Lchild4 | Feb 11, 2020 |
This a wonderful book for young readers who are learning to connect English and Spanish language together. Having this book - that blends English and Spanish together on the pages - in your library exposes young children the value of reading in their native tongue. The book is engaging through the creative imagery and the humorous search the young bird goes on to find their mother. It has a predictable quality with the consistent questions while also providing a space for students to identify animals represented in the book in two different languages. ( )
  TiaYoung | Nov 21, 2019 |
I love this book. my mother use to read this book to me. I think this book is great lesson to have children ask questions even though it may seem weird, or unlikely.
  Galiana.Carranza | Nov 16, 2019 |
"My daughter got this as a Christmas novel (in 2015) from her Grandfather and recently (in 2017) decided to use it as her first 1st Grade book report book. She has nothing but sweet words to say about it and it was the first novel she was able to read by herself.

It's a great learning novel and it's very silly."

Watch my video about my daughter's book report on this novel here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot...

P. D. Eastmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dr. Seusssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,972,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible