Are You My Mother?

by P. D. Eastman

A little bird asks animals, planes, and boats, "Are you my mother?" until he finds his own mother.

English (253)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (255)
This book is about a baby bird who falls out of his nest and is in search of his mother. He travels around asking various animals if they are his mother. This is a good for younger students to practice their sight words or to practice repetitive reading. ( )
  Leamoore | Apr 25, 2022 |
This is a really cute story about a bird who falls out of his nest, and goes around talking to various animals to try to find the mother. Luckily in the end the mother bird and the baby bird are reunited. ( )
  Kyle_Roberson | Apr 23, 2022 |
A fun book for young kids ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
This book is about a baby bird who falls out of his nest. The little bird's mother feels the egg moving around so she goes out to get food for the newborn. While she is gone, the baby bird falls out of the nest and encounters a bunch of different animals to try and find his mother. Once he goes through all the animals and objects the last thing puts him right back in his nest where his mother finally comes back to reach him and he knows that her for sure. It is such a heartwarming book and makes me reflect as a mother. ( )
  AlissaAnneMay | Feb 22, 2022 |
Title: Are You My Mother
- Author: P.D. Eastman
- Illustrator: Same
- Publisher: Random House Children’s Books
- Date: June 12, 1960 (date published), January 16, 2022 (date read)
- Pages: 64
- Type of Book/Genre: Picture book, Fiction
- Short Summary of the Main Plot: The story begins with a mother and her egg, and she feels the egg jump, so she flies away to get her baby something to eat. The baby hatches, and tries to go find his mother, and falls out of the tree because he could not fly. He starts walking/running around asking different animals and objects, “are you my mother”, since he did not know what she looked like. He ends up getting stuck on a tractor that he calls a “snort”, and the “snort” brings him to his nest. At that moment, his mother arrives, and is relieved.
- Tags/ Subject Headings that Describe the Content: Curiosity, searching, mother and child, animal and object recognition.
- My Response: I remember my mother reading me this book, I enjoyed the pictures and the story line. I think it would be good in a classroom setting because it shows different animals and objects that children can practice recognizing/naming.
  MayaBust | Jan 20, 2022 |
"My daughter got this as a Christmas novel (in 2015) from her Grandfather and recently (in 2017) decided to use it as her first 1st Grade book report book. She has nothing but sweet words to say about it and it was the first novel she was able to read by herself.

It's a great learning novel and it's very silly."

Watch my video about my daughter's book report on this novel here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot...

To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.
Flightless baby lost
Goes on journey to find mom
Reunited at last
(sleader1992)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,703,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible