Mistress of the Empire by Raymond Feist
Recently added byJames.Appleby, oddygem, private library, kreaves739, muwaffaq, jd313, nicky073, Hemsworth05

English (18)  French (2)  All languages (20)
After three months, I am done with the Empire Trilogy and am looking forward to diving further into the Riftwar Cycle. If you're at all interested in Feist's work and the rest of the Riftwar Cycle, start with the Riftwar Saga Trilogy before you read the Empire Trilogy. It'll provide background info, I was lacking while reading it. It's not absolutely necessary but it'll add depth to the world.

I would hate to spoil anyone on this lovely trilogy, which is why I'll keep the plot info to a minimum.

The trilogy is set in a world inspired by Asia. There's not a lot of magic, instead it's all about intrigue and politics.

Mara is possibly the best female fantasy character I've encountered so far. She kicks ass, is intelligent, cunning and the entire tale is one big chess game filled with politics and betrayal. Mara does not use strength and violence to win this game but her wit.

The entire cast of characters is well developed. The villains are intriguing and relatable.

I enjoyed every part of this trilogy, even the romance. In fact this had a romance that warmed my heart and made me happy. (Rare, I'm usually grumpy!)

Recommended to everyone who likes either Feist or Wurts, and who enjoys witty politicians betraying each other. ( )
  Vinjii | Jun 18, 2018 |
This is the final instalment in the Kelewan books set in the Midkemia series and is, probably the most innovative in some ways and yet most rushed in others.

Having defeated many of the Lords arrayed against her, Mara finds herself faced by some of the most powerful enemies she's faced in her rise to prominence. When her eldest son is killed by an assassin's weapon, she sends her spy master after the leader of the Tong that had carried out the hit where he finds that he does have an unexpected weakness when he falls in love with a woman of the reed life. Tasked by Mara to attempt to gain entry into the Assembly of the Great Ones, Arakasi finds a foe greater even than his immense skills can overcome. Needing a way to overcome the ban that the Assembly had placed on her confrontation with the Anastasi Mara delves deeply into the past treaties between her people and the Cho-Ja queens and it is here that she learns of an ancient compact and alien beauties.

Politically, things come to a violent head when the emperor is assassinated and the Great Houses are forced to make their moves - as you may guess from the title, you know who won the race!

It's probably the crowning and acceptance of Mara's child as the new emperor that so speedily ends this trilogy that is the weakest part of this book but by this stage, both authors quite likely didn't feel like writing much more about Kelewan, and it rarely has such a great role in any more of the books set in the Midkemia universe. ( )
  JohnFair | Jan 7, 2018 |
This series is one of my favorites. I remember not being able to put it down and missing my train stop when I first read it. Highly recommended. Something about the combination of these authors' writing was amazing. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Long book. And one third through I wondered why it was written (slow, fluffy, and seemingly unnecessary), so I set it aside. After pushing into the second third, it got better, and with but a few head shaking passages in the last third, a satisfactory conclusion to the Empire Trilogy in my Year of Feist. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |

This was almost ALL Wurts. Felt like Feist just rubberstamped his name on the cover. Very elaborate, flowing descriptions and we know how characters feel, not because we are shown, but because Wurts will spend a page in an indepth monologue detailing every little thing so the reader, no matter how dumb, CAN'T miss her point.

I was glad that this was done. The happy" ending tacked on at the end really didn't fit with the Tsuranuanni world though. Mara should have been alone until her death, just like she was alone at the beginning. Kevin being dragged back into the storyline jarred." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Wow this activities it's really important for business owners and customers whether a fresh mind then customers will be perfect get the information about your business, industry information through SMS and i am also Owner of my business i have a Business SMS service for business to promote. And more information please visit there. I think you should to check this one this is mostly important for businesses to promoted! well thanks you keep working you are great doing great work keep more sharing :)
added by BeckySpencer | editBecky

Mistress of the Empire is a fantasy novel by American writers Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. It is the third and final book in the Empire Trilogy and was published in 1992!
bullet force games
added by roland8 | editWiki

Raymond Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wurts, Jannymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The morning sun shone.

The world on the other side of the rift:  Kelewan, a land seething with political intrigue and deadly conspiracies.  Following the opulent panoply of Daughter Of The Empire and the dazzling pageantry of Servant Of The Empire comes the resounding conclusion to the Empire trilogy.

Besieged by spies and rival houses, stalked by a secret and merciless brotherhood of assassins, the brilliant Lady Mara of the Acoma faces the most deadly challenge she has ever known.  The fearsome Black Robes see Mara as the ultimate threat to their ancient power.  In search of allies who will join her against them, Mara must travel beyond civilization's borders and even into the hives of the alien cho-ja.  As those near and dear to her fall victim to many enemies, Mara cries out for vengeance.  Drawing on all of her courage and guile she prepares to fight her greatest battle of all--for her life, her home, and the Empire itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

With magnificent cover art from a Hugo Award-winning artist, this superb conclusion to Feist and Wurts' epic collaboration is destined to attract an even larger audience. Filled with intrigue, magic, and surprising passion, Mistress of the Empire continues the saga of one woman's battle to conquer and transform her world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,219,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible