The further escapades of four animal friends who live along a river in the English countryside--Toad, Mole, Rat, and Badger.

A good book ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
"Here, at last, is thye stunning recreation of the much-loved world of Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows that we secretly all know we wanted, but never dared hope we might find ...

"For now, in an act of homage and celebration, William Horwood has brought to life once more the four most-loved characters in English literature: the loyal Mole, the resourceful Water Rat, the stern but wise Badger, and of course, the exasperating, irresistible Toad. Published in England in 1993, it was a resounding success, a bestseller for three months, and acclaimed as that rarest of literary treats -- a sequel truly worthy of the name.

"Since he was a child, William Horwood has known and loved The Wind in the Willows , but something at the end of the books has always worried him -- the idea that, as Grahame put it, 'He was indeed an altered Toad.'

"'Toad altered!' says Horwood, 'I didn't believe it then and I don't now, and I doubt if many millions of people who have enjoyed Grahame's book believe it either. Toad always seemed to me incorrigibly unaltered, and what I wanted to know was, 'What happened to him next?'

"The result is an enchanting, unforgettable new novel, enlivened by the delightful illustrations, in which William Horwood has recaptured all the joy, magic, and good humor of Grahame's great work -- and Toad is still as exasperatingly lovable as he ever was."
~~front & back flaps

I am one of the world's greatest The Wind in the Willows fans! I own several copies, and have the annotated version on my wish list. I was delighted to find this book, and dove eagerly into it. I wish I could put my finger on why I didn't love it as much as I do The Wind in the Willows. The illustrations are indeed lovely, and the book is beautifully laid out. But somehow the story seemed a bit thin, the characters not quite their old selves. It just didn't seem to have the depth and breadth that the original did. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. There are three more books by Horwood in this series, and I'll read them all, just in case I change my mind, or just in case they get better as he goes along. ( )
  Aspenhugger | Oct 25, 2015 |
Sequels by authors other than the original... so seldom do they hit the right note.

The Willows In Winter by William Horwood is one that does. Here are Badger, Mole, Otter, Rat and Toad just as we left them. Absolutely excellent! The drawings by Patrick Benson are as true as Shephard's. Can not get over how good it was in keeping true to the original Wind in the Willows. ( )
  mysterymax | Feb 9, 2015 |
Read a review of this in the Chicago Tribune book section, and was very eager to get it. It's good enough, though to compare it to the original is pointless. It's a strange comparison, but it made me think of Son of Kong, the sequel to King Kong--an order of magnitude less than the original, but it does one thing perfectly: It takes us back to the special world of the original. Aided immeasurably by the wonderful illustrations of Patrick Benson, which are reminiscent of those of Ernest Shepard. I'm not sure the story would work without the pictures. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 25, 2015 |
The original Wind in the Willows is one of my all time favorite stories and I really wanted to like this. But it just didn't measure up. I'm not sure exactly what was missing, it might have just been the knowledge that it wasn't written by Kenneth Grahame, but the entire time I was reading it I just didn't feel the magic of the original. There are specific complaints I have however. First, the original is a book of linked stories rather than just one, so if you wanted to, you could read them over the course of the year, coming back to it whenever you wanted. The Willows in Winter, however, is just one extended story that starts on page one, so the book is a complete experience in itself. I also hated how the author characterized Badger. He made the Badger seems like a feeble minded old man, despite constantly describing him as "wise." I will commend the author that Toad does seem to be alive and well as Grahame wrote him. ( )
  weeksc07 | Apr 24, 2013 |
In Memory of Kenneth Grahame's son Alastair 1900-1920 to whom the Willow stories were first told.
The Mole sat toasting his toes in front of the fire. The winter wind howled safely outside, sending occasional flurries of soot down his chimney. He was thinking that things were nearly perfect, but not quite.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,238,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible