dismiss

When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

When We Were Very Young

by A. A. Milne

Other authors: Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Series: Winnie-the-Pooh (3)

A collection of poems reflecting the experiences of a little English boy growing up in the early part of the twentieth century.

A good collection of poems that embody the spirit of early childhood well. It's hard to believe Milne when he said he was the "least sentimental" about children. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
Poems featuring Christopher Robin and kings and ladies and bears. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
1938 school edition. blue characters on cover have faded into white
  lrenaj | Dec 9, 2019 |
Although this book is contained within the initial Winnie-The-Pooh canon, it is not a book of stories about the bear himself, but rather poetry. Only one poem in the book is truly about Mr. Edward Bear, but the book itself reads very much as a love letter to the young Christopher Robin and the time in which it was written. The poems are about a trip to the zoo, the wilds around them, just-so stories of the animals about and the beautiful flowers.

The book itself is like a celebration of spring time. It's nearly pagan or purely Romantic writing in the subjects it contains. It would be nearly impossible to read it without being touched, or at least slightly moved by the contents. There's a keen nostalgia throughout it all, but nevertheless it is still very much a thing of beauty and to be treasured. It's hard to imagine such stories being told now, and I feel its important that we keep at least part of us able to appreciate such a perspective and recognize it. Don't all of us miss the time we could see a brownie behind a curtain, or catch a dormouse sleeping within the flowers? I still keenly remember once coming across a fox sleeping in our garden and watching it until it woke..

Isn't that its own kind of magic? ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Love, love the poetry in this book. Love the old edition I have too. And the artwork is equally as good, inspiring lovely feelings of nostalgia, of days gone by.. when things were simpler and slower paced. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Mar 31, 2018 |

Milne, A. A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Christopher Robin Milne or as he prefers to call himself, Billy Moon, this book which owes so much to him is now humbly offered.
Just Before We Begin
At one time (but I have changed my mind now) I thought I was going to write a little Note at the top of each of these poems, in the manner of Mr. William Wordsworth, who liked to tell his readers where he was staying, and which of his friends he was walking with, and what he was thinking about, when the idea of writing his poem came to him.
Down by the corner of the street
Where the three roads meet,
And the feet
Of the people as they pass go "Tweet-tweet-tweet-"
Who comes tripping round the corner of the street?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,531,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible