When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne

When We Were Very Young

by A. A. Milne

Other authors: Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Series: Winnie-the-Pooh (3)

Although this book is contained within the initial Winnie-The-Pooh canon, it is not a book of stories about the bear himself, but rather poetry. Only one poem in the book is truly about Mr. Edward Bear, but the book itself reads very much as a love letter to the young Christopher Robin and the time in which it was written. The poems are about a trip to the zoo, the wilds around them, just-so stories of the animals about and the beautiful flowers.

The book itself is like a celebration of spring time. It's nearly pagan or purely Romantic writing in the subjects it contains. It would be nearly impossible to read it without being touched, or at least slightly moved by the contents. There's a keen nostalgia throughout it all, but nevertheless it is still very much a thing of beauty and to be treasured. It's hard to imagine such stories being told now, and I feel its important that we keep at least part of us able to appreciate such a perspective and recognize it. Don't all of us miss the time we could see a brownie behind a curtain, or catch a dormouse sleeping within the flowers? I still keenly remember once coming across a fox sleeping in our garden and watching it until it woke..

Isn't that its own kind of magic? ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Love, love the poetry in this book. Love the old edition I have too. And the artwork is equally as good, inspiring lovely feelings of nostalgia, of days gone by.. when things were simpler and slower paced. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Mar 31, 2018 |
"When We Were Very Young" is a collection of poetry done by the author of Winnie the Pooh. There seems to be an overlying theme of rhyming, animals, and poetry. Milne has a theme between all of his books of animals being used as if they were people and that shows within this collection. Overall it's a collection of poetry about a little girl and boy's life growing up with all the mischief they get into. There isn't a true lesson and with the book being a little older it doesn't relate to children as much now. This collection, however, is great for children in first grade because the collection is split up into what they would think are chapters and it's a good transition from picture books leading into more chapter types of books. The rhyming within the poetry will also help children read more fluently. Overall, it's a nice collection, but not very relevant anymore. ( )
  CassieHurley | Mar 6, 2018 |
Short stories and poems for young children. Animal friends and silly situations.

SOURCE: home bookshelf
AGES: 4-6 ( )
  kendianna | Dec 15, 2017 |
Summary: This is a collection of poems by the famous author who brought to life Winnie-the-Pooh. He originally wrote these poems as well as the story for his son, Christopher Robin, and soon it became the bedtime story for many other children as well.

Personal Reaction: I have always loved the character Winnie-the-Pooh, and subjected my parents to the torture of watching the movie over and over again. I was intrigued to read his poetry and was not disappointed.

Extensions: I would have the children watch the movie to bring the story to life for them.
  Raeanna_Guth | Dec 1, 2017 |

Milne, A. A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Christopher Robin Milne or as he prefers to call himself, Billy Moon, this book which owes so much to him is now humbly offered.
Just Before We Begin
At one time (but I have changed my mind now) I thought I was going to write a little Note at the top of each of these poems, in the manner of Mr. William Wordsworth, who liked to tell his readers where he was staying, and which of his friends he was walking with, and what he was thinking about, when the idea of writing his poem came to him.
Down by the corner of the street
Where the three roads meet,
And the feet
Of the people as they pass go "Tweet-tweet-tweet-"
Who comes tripping round the corner of the street?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140361235, Paperback)

In all likelihood, your mother or father read you these poems and remember their parents reading the same. This collection of poetry by the creator of Winnie the Pooh was first published in 1924. With its companion volume Now We Are Six, the little books became two of the biggest bestsellers in publishing history. Children all over the world have heard about changing the guard at Buckingham Palace; James James Morrison Morrison Weather by George Dupree; the three little foxes who kept their handkerchiefs in cardboard boxes; and, of course, Christopher Robin, named for A.A. Milne's son. Adults and older children will enjoy Milne's poems too, as some of his humor is subtly directed at a more sophisticated audience. But younger children are the ones who love the naughty Mary Jane (lovely rice pudding again?) and the bears on the corners of London's streets. Read these poems aloud and pass along (or start) a family tradition. (Ages 5 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

A collection of poems reflecting the experiences of a little English boy growing up in the early part of the twentieth century.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,099,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible