The Lion in Winter (1966)

by James Goldman

It's Christmas in 1183, and the court of King Henry II explodes with royal family drama. Conflict develops between the king and his long estranged wife Eleanor of Aquitaine as they each struggle for power. As Prince Richard and Prince John join the family squabbling, resulting alliances from the marital conflict could change the course of England forever.… (more)

Review of the LA Theatre Works production ca. 2005. I recall seeing the O'Toole / Hepburn film years ago, it was intensely serious, dark and brooding with stellar acting. This full-cast production lacks the same gravitas with the audience laughing in places, but it is probably closer to how the original play was meant to be performed. I typically like literary romanticized depictions of the Middle Ages but found this to be too unbelievable, the characters brutal with an aww-shucks they are just like us ending. Maybe it could be analyzed in the context of first-wave feminism (1966) but that is beyond my ken. It is probably nothing more, or less, than a black comedy with a Medieval flavor and witty dialogue.
1 vote Stbalbach | Feb 11, 2020 |
This is one of my absolute favorite plays! It has all the components of a great drama: extramarital affairs, family fighting, possible treason. Henry II wants his youngest son John to be king of England when he dies, but his wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, wants the eldest, Richard, to be king. Add in a middle son that no one wants to be king, the young mistress of Henry II and the King of France, and it's a party! The play is witty and fast paced. History buffs will love this version of the event that lead to the rise of Henry II's heir. I would recommend this for upper level high school students studying World History. This may be especially intriguing to students in AP European History. ( )
  VClarke | Jul 9, 2017 |
Excellent. ( )
  ramon4 | Nov 20, 2016 |
I saw the films before reading the play, which was a mistake. After seeing such impassioned performances, the script just can't help but feel a little flat and lifeless. But it's a brutal, beautiful piece of writing all the same, and well worth the time. ( )
  Jeslieness | Jan 28, 2016 |
  kutheatre | Jun 4, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,187,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible