Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000)

by David Sedaris

English (323)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (325)
This book is quite humorous. I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions, mostly waiting for my appointment to roll around. This is a quick snappy read that speaks to my soul, since I can relate to trying fruitlessly to understand French. I just can't hear the differences, but this fellow has troubles with his teachers.

In several short essays, Sedaris relates the story of his speech therapy training, how his father wanted him to play the guitar and his teacher was a midget, how he lived in France and New York and had several jobs. It is wide ranging, and I didn't really grasp the overarching theme to the pieces, but the title piece was especially hilarious. Also included is the twelve moments in his time as an artist. The times when he was on Crystal Meth was rather interesting since I am pretty lame and don't do illicit drugs.

In short, I really enjoyed this book, and will probably be following his works later on, after I am done with these books that I am reading now. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I was really looking forward to this book but I shouldn't have bothered. I found it absolutely boring. I did stop reading it halfway through.........I couldn't take anymore. Sidesplitting, witty, irresistibly funny the reviews said. I didn't even chuckle. To each his own. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
Very funny! I did laugh out loud several times. My family and co-workers were beginning to think I was nuts... so it's a good job I've finished before they had confirmation!

I would have to say that stand-out favorites are:

You can't kill the rooster

Picka Pocketoni (If you've ever been an American living abroad you'd really find this one funny!)

and, Smart Guy. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
A friend lent me this book and we agreed: there's a mean edge to it. He's funny, yes. The chapters are columns he wrote (mostly) for Esquire, which means it's cloying to read too many at a time. (They weren't written to be read as a book, but that's where the money is, one supposes.) I thought of it as public party talk ~ stories which attract interest, with an unfortunately bitter aftertaste. I think he could do better. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

Sedaris, DavidAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aison, Cathryn S.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, MelissaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.

Humor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

Me Talk Pretty One Day contains far more than just the funniest collection of autobiographical essays - it quite well registers as a manifesto about language itself. Wherever there's a straight line, you can be sure that Sedaris lurks beneath the text, making it jagged with laughter; and just where the fault lines fall, he sits mischievously perched at the epicenter of it all. David Sedaris's new collection, Me Talk Pretty One Day, tells a most unconventional life story. It begins with a North Carolina childhood filled with speech-therapy classes ("There was the lisp, of course, but more troubling than that was my voice itself, with its excitable tone and high, girlish pitch") and unwanted guitar lessons taught by a midget. From budding performance artist ("The only crimp in my plan was that I seemed to have no talent whatsoever") to "clearly unqualified" writing teacher in Chicago, Sedaris's career leads him to New York (the sky's-the-limit field of furniture moving) and eventually, of all places, France. Sedaris's move to Paris poses a number of challenges, chief among them his inability to speak the language. Arriving a "spooky man-child" capable of communicating only through nouns, he undertakes language instruction that leads him ever deeper into cultural confusion. Whether describing the Easter bunny to puzzled classmates, savoring movies in translation (It is Necessary to save the Soldier Ryan), or watching a group of men play soccer with a cow, Sedaris brings a view and a voice like no other--"Original, acid, and wild," said the Los Angeles Times--to every unforgettable encounter."--Jacket.… (more)

4 2069

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,582,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible