Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000)

by David Sedaris

A new collection from David Sedaris is cause for jubilation. His recent move to Paris has inspired hilarious pieces, including Me Talk Pretty One Day, about his attempts to learn French. His family is another inspiration. You Cant Kill the Rooster is a portrait of his brother who talks incessant hip-hop slang to his bewildered father. And no one hones a finer fury in response to such modern annoyances as restaurant meals presented in ludicrous towers and cashiers with 6-inch fingernails. Compared by The New Yorker to Twain and Hawthorne, Sedaris has become one of our best-loved authors. Sedaris is an amazing reader whose appearances draw hundreds, and his performancesincluding a jaw-dropping impression of Billie Holiday singing I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weinerare unforgettable. Sedariss essays on living in Paris are some of the funniest hes ever written. At last, someone even meaner than the French! The sort of blithely sophisticated, loopy humour that might have resulted if Dorothy Parker and James Thurber had had a love child. Entertainment Weekly on Barrel Fever Sidesplitting Not one of the essays in this new collection failed to crack me up; frequently I was helpless. The New York Times Book Review on Naked… (more)
    Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (rosylibrarian)
    My Miserable Lonely Lesbian Pregnancy by Andrea Askowitz (lolo1978)
    lolo1978: Few books have made me laugh out loud. If Me Talk Pretty One Day made you laugh, give My Miserable Lonely Lesbian Pregnancy at read.
    The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz (cransell)
    Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk (Southernlit)

English (340)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (342)
My first David Sedaris book and it won’t be my last. Hilarious, laugh out loud (and read out loud to those around you) funny. In places it ranged from uproarious to outrageous, but it is always monumentally funny. For some reason I missed Sedaris on TV and in podcasts, but I’m glad a friend gave me this book. ( )
  DanDiercks | Apr 4, 2022 |
Funny. ( )
  Tytania | Mar 16, 2022 |
"Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris got me through Christmas. He recounts speech class because he had a lisp. He tells stories about learning French and Japanese. He always makes me laugh and I so needed it. Thank you, David. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
It took me a minute to get into this book, but once it gained traction, I’ve been enjoying his irreverent and self deprecating sense of humor.

There’s something about a vacuum and the ash remains of a cat!😳😂

At one point, he gets hired as a teacher and in his attempt to “aid” or foster inspiration, he encourages them to smoke...because you know...that’s what writers do!lol until a student calls him on it by making reference to Aristophanes, Jane Austen, and the Brontës never having smoked. Sedaris then says “ I jotted these names into my notebook alongside the word “troublemaker,” and said I’d look into it.”

It just cracked me up! ( )
1 vote Eosch1 | Jan 2, 2022 |
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris is a witty collection of essays, primarily focusing on the author's time in France. I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed the content focus on speech and language that this collection had to offer.

In one of the essays, Sedaris shares what it was like to have a lisp when he was younger and the experience of speech therapy. Later in life, Sedaris moves to Normandy in France with his partner Hugh, despite not knowing the language. Taking French lessons, Sedaris made me laugh out loud every time he shared his meagre knowledge of French and the reactions from locals.

My absolute favourite quote from the collection came when he called a plumber to come and fix their toilet. In trying to describe the problem, and struggling with the gendered nature of many items in the French language, he says:

"My toilet, she cry much of the time." (Chapter 22)

Sedaris goes on to describe his experience at the dentist and compares the health systems of France and the USA. Much of the content here is chuckle-worthy and entertaining and the satirical humour is again on show.

For more, you can check out my review of Calypso and Naked. In the meantime, I'm already listening to Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, but suspect I'll be slowing down on my Sedaris streak soon. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Nov 14, 2021 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aison, Cathryn S.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, MelissaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.

A recent transplant to Paris, humorist David Sedaris, bestselling author of "Naked", presents a collection of his strongest work yet, including the title story about his hilarious attempt to learn French.

5 2008

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316776963, 0316777722, 1570428654

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,703,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible