Dog Friday by Hilary McKay

Dog Friday (1994)

by Hilary McKay

Series: Porridge Hall (1)

Good despite the ugly and dated cover

library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Robin had a very bad experience with a dog. After a nasty period in hospital he lives in fear of dogs, and is quite lonely, until a new family move in next-door. There are twins around his age, a small and independent sister called Beany, and a brother called Sun Dance who evidently has some kind of learning problem, but it’s not spelled out what it is.

It’s not a long story, and is mainly character-based, so there’s not any single plot, or mystery, or indeed anything much going on other than Robin’s gradual friendship developing, and losing his fear of dogs. The family next door are, as so many of this author’s are, quite chaotic and very active, yet loyal to each other, deep down. I didn’t find myself caught up with them as I did in the series about the Casson family, but it made enjoyable reading.

Recommended for anyone over the age of about eight; there’s a tense and potentially scary scene towards the end which might frighten a younger child, and discussion of one or two sensitive issues in passing. But overall I liked it very much. I’d give three and a half stars if I could. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was a fun story, and I especially enjoyed the relationship between Robin and his mother. There were some excellent characters - Dan the bully who wasn't so bad, the all of the chaos-causing Robinson kids. But the story focus shifted around suddenly from Robin's fear of dogs, and then his wish to keep his stray Dog Friday, Robin mother trying to keep customers at her B+B, the Robinson kids trying to entertain themselves, and Sun Dance trying dealing with his bully. That is a lot of action for such a short book, and each storyline could have been a book on its own. I felt a bit frantic whipping from one plot to another.
Of the three covers LibraryThing shows, my favourite is the one on my book, by Gail Piazza. For some reason the soft, very realistic image grabbed me, and pulled this book to the top of my pile. It reminds me of a common cover style from when I was much younger. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Apr 27, 2008 |

Hilary McKayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Robin!”

Ten-year-old Robin Brogan is determined to keep the dog he finds abandoned on the beach from being impounded by the police.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible