Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Just After Sunset (2008)

by Stephen King

English (104)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (112)
It's a book of several short stories by the "Master of the Unusual and the Unnatural". They have just enough unnatural element to satisfy the Stephen King enthusiast. It's common people doing what appears to be everyday ordinary things...but the reader soon knows there is nothing ordinary about any of it. If you're a King fan you will more than likely like it at least 3.5 -5 stars worth. If you have never read Stephen King...(and what planet did you just come from?), this probably isn't the book to begin with. We... the dyed in the wool followers will enjoy it because we KNOW what this author is capable of when he is really trying to frighten us. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 30, 2019 |
I recently finished reading Stephen King's Everything's Eventual. After Sunset seemed like a better story collection to me. The stories seemed consistently better to me. My favorites were N. and the Gingerbread Girl. I also enjoyed the ending to A Very Tight Place, but not the middle part. Too much gross out stuff in there. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
By now, I would imagine everybody who reads has an opinion about Stephen King - love him, hate him, think he’s a great writer, thinks he runs off at the keyboard way too much, etc., etc. I’ve been in the “his stuff is still lots of fun to read, even when it’s gross” camp for a long time, which means that while I used to pick up each new novel or short story collection as soon as it came out, I now buy them if I happen to see them in used book stores or I read a bunch of different reviews about a given book that make me want to check it out for myself. Just After Sunset is a collection of short stories/novellas from 2008, one I happened to find in a used book store in Santa Rosa, California, while visiting relatives there. All but one (the novella “N”) story in the book was previously published in such diverse settings as Playboy, F&SF, The Paris Review, The New Yorker and McSweeney’s. Each story features King’s trademarks: good character development, humour, often-disgusting horror, and internal monologues by the viewpoint characters. I particularly liked “The Gingerbread Girl,” “The Things They Left Behind,” “The New York Times as Special Bargain Rates” and “A Very Tight Place,” but of course other readers will have other favourites. I’m pleased to note the King provides the reader with a little background on each of the stories (at the end of the book, so you’re not tempted to read those vignettes before reading the stories themselves), a courtesy not many writers provide and one that this reader appreciates. Recommended. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Apr 21, 2019 |
KIng always has been a fine short story writer and he doesn't disappoint with this strong collection.

Of the 13 stories there are only 2 that I didn't really like which is a pretty darn good average for a collection.

There are two that I would put with the best of his stories:The Things They Left Behind and N. ( )
  phollis68 | Apr 9, 2019 |

Die New York Times zum Vorzugspreis
Stumm
Ayana
In der Klemme

Das ist jetzt die erste Kurzgeschichtensammlung von ihm, bei der mir jede Kurzgeschichte unter die Haut gegangen ist. Während in Willa, Ayana, Harveys Traum und Die New York Times zum Vorzugspreis mehr ein übernatürlicher Faktor reinspielt, der angenehme Gänsehaut verursacht, sind alle anderen Geschichten wieder ein Tauchgang in die tiefste Psyche der Menschen. Dabei hat besonders die Geschichte N. echte Beklemmungen bei mir ausgelöst. Das Pfefferkuchen-Mädchen war dafür an Spannung kaum zu überbieten und hat mich ganz schön mitfiebern lassen.

Fazit:
Sunset ist eine Sammlung genialer Kurzgeschichten aus Stephen Kings Feder. In meinen Augen hat er damit alle anderen Sammlungen, die ich bisher von ihm gelesen habe, bei weitem übertroffen. Seine Fähigkeit, selbst auf nur wenigen Seiten eine spannende oder bedrückende Atmosphäre zu kreieren ist herausragend. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |

Shenkman, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sudduth, SkippReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winningham, MareNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziemba, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I can fancy what you saw. Yes; it is horrible enough; but after all, it is an old story, an old mystery played....Such forces cannot be named, cannot be spoken, cannot be imagined except under a veil and a symbol, a symbol to the most of us appearing a quaint, poetic fancy, to some a foolish tale. But you and I, at all events, have known something of the terror that may dwell in the secret place of life, manifested under human flesh; that which is without form taking to itself a form. Oh, Austin, how can it be? How is it that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing, the hard earth melt and boil beneath such a burden?" -- Arthur Machen, The Great God Pan
For Heidi Pitlor
One day in 1972, I came home from work and found my wife sitting at the kitchen table with a pair of gardening shears in front of her.

Contains the following stories;
Mute
Ayana
A Very Tight Place

AR 5.9, 21 pts

This collection of short works is comprised of pieces that previously appeared in such publications as The New Yorker, Playboy, and McSweeney's, in a volume that includes such tales as ""The Gingerbread Girl"" and "N."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,394,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible