20th Century Ghosts (2002)

by Joe Hill

Other authors: Christopher Golden (Introduction)

A compilation of short fiction includes the tales of Imogene, the legendary ghost of the Rosebud theater, and Francis, an unhappy, hopeless human turned giant locust seeking revenge on his Nevada hometown.
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (mao21234)
    mao21234: Gaiman likes to embed stories in his introductions- as a nod to Gaiman, Hill embeds one in the acknowledgements at the end of the book.
    Pictures From An Expedition by Alexander C. Irvine (msouliere)
    msouliere: Like Joe Hill, and very much in the spirit of Ray Bradbury's short story collections, this book is eclectic and exploratory in nature. Good stuff!
    Just After Sunset by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Short stories from father and son.
    Tiny Deaths by Robert Shearman (Booksloth)
    Dark Ride by Michael Laimo (lesleydawn)
    Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions by Neil Gaiman (smammers)

English (121)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (127)
My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 31, 2021 |
For those who skip the end notes - read the acknowledgments or at least skim to see what follows them.
  Mahnogard | Aug 28, 2021 |
There were some 4 star stories in this but more three star ones. I think it was a good introduction to his writing and I would recommend this first if you are looking to read any of his larger works. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
I loved these stories! Joe Hill is an absolute fantastic writer who creates these surreal yet realistic worlds.
"Best New Horror" was a great start to this collection. It was one of the most wonderfully disgusting things I've ever read, with smaller stories within.
I think my favorite story was "20th Century Ghost" with its touching plot and beautiful descriptions of nostalgic films from my childhood.
"You Will Hear the Locust Sing" is a wonderful tribute to Kafka.
I wanted more of the museum in "Last Breath". I hope he expands on the concept in the future.
"My Father's Mask" is such a trip! Like Alice in Wonderland meets "Masque of the Red Death", but all from Joe Hill's mind.
The last and longest story of the collection, "Voluntary Committal", started off a bit slow, but it picked up quickly. When I was through, I felt like it could very well be made into a movie one day.
Over all, these stories were creepy, charming, beautiful, weird, and wonderful! ( )
  SeanBoley | Jun 5, 2021 |
I picked this up to read one afternoon, and could not put it down. While I will say that a few of the stories in the collection beat you over the head with their Intended Message or devolve into predictable endings, there are others that are weird, wonderful, new treats. This is one to run, not walk, to the bookstore for. (Personal highlights: the wonderful opener "Best New Horror", the dark, sweet title story, the new-spin-on-an-old-story "Abraham's Boys", and the spectacular, bizarre, dreamlike "My Father's Mask".) ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |

Hill, Joeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Golden, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riffel, HannesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Leanora: We are my favorite story.
A month before his deadline, Eddie Carroll ripped open a manila envelope, and a magazine called The True North Literary Review slipped out into his hands.
Please do not combine this anthology, 20th Century Ghosts with the short story "20th Century Ghost," contained herein.

Anthology contents:

Collects these stories:
"Best New Horror"
"20th Century Ghost"
"Pop Art"
"You Will Hear the Locust Sing"
"Abraham's Boys"
"Better than Home"
"The Black Phone"
"In the Rundown"
"The Cape"
"Last Breath"
"Dead-Wood"
"The Widow's Breakfast"
"Bobby Conroy Comes Back from the Dead"
"My Father's Mask"
"Voluntary Commital"

Introduction by Christopher Golden

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,887,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible