Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions (1998)

by Neil Gaiman

9,628124637 (3.99)1 / 196
A collection of fantasy stories and poems. In Chivalry, a woman discovers the Holy Grail in a secondhand shop, in Murder Mysteries, an angel visiting Los Angeles provides the inside story on Lucifer's revolt against God, and there are revisionist stories on Snow White and Santa Claus.

English (121)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (124)
This collection is a mixed bag, but definitely worth reading. There are some real gems in here. I especially liked the very last story. ( )
  mvolz | Jul 10, 2022 |
As much as I love Neil, this was difficult for me to read in parts.
Some stories read better than the others. ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
I just love Neil Gaiman's work so much. I couldn't put down this book. Especially, since I was also listening to Neil Gaiman, who read it to me. Which I think is the best way to read any of his work. His voice is just amazing to listen to, and listening to him read his own work just adds a whole different aspect to his books. Fully recommend this to people. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
I don't usually read short stories. I don't usually read anthologies or single-author gatherings of short stories. But, I must admit, I am a Neil Gaiman fanboy, so I had either purchased this, or was given it as a gift. *scratches head* It's been on the shelf for a while.

Switching from his novels or his comics to his short stories was a bit of cold water to the face. Writing in brevity requires a severe modification to one's style, but all of the stories were so entirely Gaiman that there was no doubt.

There was a surprising amount of adult material in the stories, but it was done so naturally that I didn't even notice until those scenes were behind me. It was a matter of "well, of COURSE she would do that in that situation."

The only reason I'm giving four starts instead of five... each story left me wanting more. What can I say, I love novels. :) ( )
  dcrampton | Apr 20, 2022 |
Vampires. Frogs. Angels. Apples and a Black Cat. ( )
  eduardochang | Feb 3, 2022 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Halperin, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, J.K.Cover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But where there's a monster there's a miracle.

Dragons Are Too Seldom

Ogden Nash
For Ellen Datlow and Steve Jones
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate -- The cards and stars that tumble as they will. (introduction, actual first words of book).
Mrs. Whitaker found the Holy Grail; it was under a fur coat. (Chivalry, first line of out first story in book)
Maar waar een monster is, is ook een wonder - Ogden Nash - Dragons are too seldom
'Ik bedoel' zei ze, 'dat een mens het niet kan helpen dat ie groter wordt.' - 'Eén mens niet, misschien,'' zei Wiggel Waggel, 'maar twee wel. Met de benodigde hulp had je het bij 7 kunnen houden.' - Lewis Carroll - Achter de spiegel

Collects these stories:
"Chivalry"
"Nicholas Was ..."
"The Price"
"Troll Bridge"
"Don't Ask Jack"
"The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories"
"The White Road"
"Queen of Knives"
"Changes"
"The Daughter of Owls"
"Shoggoth's Old Peculiar"
"Virus"
"Looking for the Girl"
"Only the End of the World Again"
"Bay Wolf"
"We Can Get Them for You Wholesale"
"One Life, Furnished in Early Moorcock"
"Cold Colors"
"The Sweeper of Dreams"
"Foreign Parts"
"Vampire Sestina"
"Mouse"
"The Sea Change"
"When We Went to See the End of the World by Dawnie Morningside, Age 11 1/4"
"Desert Wind"
"Tastings"
"Babycakes"
"Murder Mysteries"
"Snow, Glass, Apples"

AR 5.7; 15 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,614,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible