The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!

by Tanya Barnard, Sarah Kramer

When How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet was published in 1999, authors Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer were hailed for their fun and outlandish approach to vegan cooking, taking it out of the realm of the staid and the boring to create truly original animal-free dishes. Fifteen printings and 125,000 copies later, How It All Vegan! was a BookSense 76 selection in the US and is Arsenal's bestselling title to date. The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again! picks up where the first book left off. Tanya and Sarah, vegan chefs extraordinaire, have created truly delectable, truly original new recipes that manage to leave the animal products (including butter, milk, cheese, and honey) where they belong, with their natural owners. Where How It All Vegan! was, in many ways, a bible for the uninitiated vegan, The Garden of Vegan goes one step further, offering recipes for a more sophisticated palate that add funky twists to familiar dishes bursting with colour and flavour. At the same time, they are fun and easy to prepare, even for those of us who find boiling water a challenge. Whether you're a full-time vegan or just interested in creating fabulous animal-free meals, The Garden of Vegan will lead you into temptation with its inspiring array of vegan goodies. So skip that steak and forget that fish. It's time to discover how it all vegan, again! Two-colour throughout. Now in its 8th printing!… (more)

I don't use many of the recipes in this book (partly because I have some dietary restrictions that prevent it), the ones I do use, I use regularly and love.

The carrot-ginger soup recipe in here is one I eat almost weekly. Plus, it was such a hit at a dinner party I had one of my friends made it for a dinner party he had.

I regularly make the berry muffin recipe in this book and it's excellent (although I substitute a different berry for the blueberries).

I highly recommend this book to anybody interested in vegan/vegetarian cooking. ( )
  tjl | Jan 2, 2020 |
Better than its predecessor, this book finds Barnard and Kramer reaching out to their friends and readers for additional recipes. Clearly this book also went through more rigorous testing than the first one, as I ran into far fewer quirks in the recipes. The one oddity I came across was a sudden penchant for using olive oil in almost every recipe calling for oil. Needless to say, I did not follow this trend. Includes Maureen's sacred coffee cake recipe and many, many other winners. Highly recommended. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
When we first became vegan, I took dozens of cookbooks out of the library and bought the 2 that had the most recipes I liked. About 6 months later, we received this one as a gift, and it's now the one I use most often. This book is full of easy and quick recipes, and many now-staples in my house. The ingredients are also ones that are easy to find. I love the orange poppyseed pancakes, picnic wraps, and nutty pastas especially. ( )
  jtho | Nov 2, 2006 |

Tanya Barnardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, Sarahmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,296,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible