Tomato Girl (2008)

by Jayne Pupek

20438109,627 (3.96)41
Eleven-year-old Ellie Sanders is forced to grow up quickly when her pregnant mother develops health problems and her father's attentions become diverted by a teenage produce peddler. To escape, Ellie creates a secret world of her own, where life still seems normal.

With a mentally ill mother and a charming but self-centered father, all eleven year old Ellie needs is another problem: and along comes the Tomato Girl. This book held my attention from the first page to the last despite the shallow portrayal of some of the characters. It's written at an adolescent level but includes topics and some language that could be objectionable for younger readers. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Written by a social worker, the story contains many sad and tragic events that occur to a young girl. Like a car wreck, it propels you to look at what you may not want to see.

However, as someone else said in a review it is an "almost" good book. I agree. It seems like a fictional twist for those who enjoyed [b:The Glass Castle A Memoir|7445|The Glass Castle A Memoir|Jeannette Walls|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165613865s/7445.jpg|2944133] by [a:Jeannette Walls|3275|Jeannette Walls|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1188356528p2/3275.jpg]. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
Let me start by saying I don't read a book to feel warm and fuzzy. I don't need happy endings to enjoy a story, in fact, probably the opposite. I like my stories dark and gritty. With that being said, not one bright spot, not even one moment of peace for our little narrator. After awhile it just wasn't believable. I understand children in her shoes grow up, mature faster, and take on a parent role, but her thought processes were far beyond her years even so. I tried very hard to understand, even empathize with her father and what he had been through. Crazy wife, being a caretaker in a marriage, with a little mid-life crisis thrown in I'm sure, but still his choices just didn't seem realistic.Somehow aside from those issues I did enjoy the book and thought the ending was appropriate. ( )
  flippinpages | Nov 1, 2013 |
Once I opened this book and began to fall head first into the story I could not put the book down. One amazing horrible thing after another happening tothis 11 year old child. The tears she shed made me wonder if there was a bottom to the ocean she had stored inside of her. A fasinating story. I would recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a satisfying read. ( )
  Alphawoman | Sep 22, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jayne Pupek's book Tomato Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Jayne Pupek is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,401,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible