And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven…

And Ladies of the Club (1982)

by Helen Hooven Santmyer

An American classic!
This book is to the North what Gone with the Wind was for the south!
I am sorry I waited so long to read this one. It is a luxurious read. It has EVERYTHING-birth, death, natural disaster, America’s industrial growth, politics and religion.
This truly is a piece of American literature to be enjoyed and absorbed.
I was surprised at how I felt attachment for the characters. When I finished this book, I was in tears and felt like I lost a dear friend. I chose to read it since I had discovered I had civil war ancestors. I wanted to know more about what life may have been like for them. I learned a lot.
The author was born in 1895 so in reality, she wrote about experiences of people she may have known in her own life.
Enjoyable, delicious read. If you do read this book, just enjoy your time spent with it,it is not wasted time!
One of my all time favorites.
If I could give 10 stars I would

Update- never read the same author's book one right after another,I always take a break,but for Sanmyer,I just can't leave her world. Her writing is beautiful and her stories are memorable and lovely!I have been devouring her books since I finished And ladies of the Club. ( )
1 vote LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
A long book that held my interest right to the end. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
Pg 151 "if one's childhood was happy, one had no reason to fear life, + those who had not feared life could face death w/ acceptance when they must"

A groundbreaking bestseller with two and a half million copies in print, "...And Ladies of the Club" centers on the members of a book club and their struggles to understand themselves, each other, and the tumultuous world they live in. A true classic, it is sure to enchant, enthrall, and intrigue readers for years to come.
  christinejoseph | Sep 11, 2015 |
Spanning decades, this epic historical novel follows the lives of a small circle of women who form a literary club in Waynesboro, Ohio just after the end of the Civil War. As years pass, the women and their families grow and change and both the group and the community slowly alter.

A sedate epic novel, that I at turns enjoyed and occasionally slogged through. While the world of the community and the women that Santmyer creates is well-developed and interesting, some of the historical details felt like too much. If it weren't a challenge book I wouldn't have finished it (and it's unlikely I'd have picked it up otherwise). Not a bad book but you'll definitely want to be in the mood for a chunkster before hefting this one. ( )
  MickyFine | Jun 29, 2015 |
I dumped it after 37 pages.

Sorry, but I just couldn't see where this story was going. It felt (= read) like a toilet with a faulty flush mechanism. There's just so much of that sh*t one can read -- and just too little time to do it in.

Instead, I picked up Anna Quindlen's Rise and Shine. Same sh*t; different toilet.

RRB
Brooklyn, NY
07/20/14

RussellBittner | Dec 12, 2014 |
...''Ladies'' gives a superficial portrait - more mindlessly documentary in impulse, than naturalistic - of people we would rather not know. Though the author seems entirely sincere in her sympathy for her characters - there is not a trace of irony to be found in the book - the residents of Waynesboro still come across as a peculiarly bigoted, snobbish lot.

The Waynesboro Female College in the eighteen fifties and sixties was a fitting subject, along with the Court House, the churches, the "gentlemen's mansions," for a steel engraving of the sort then fashionable,--

"A great novel that is American to its core...so gently memorable, so bursting with life, that those who abandon themselves to its pages will find it claiming a permanent place close to their hearts." --New York Daily News

"A warm, evocative, often hilarious picture of society, culture, politics and family life." --Atlanta Constitution

"A warmly human story...never flags from first page to last." --Publishers Weekly

"It is hard to think of a better place to spend the summer than in AHelen Hooven Santmyer's? world." --Cosmopolitan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

This ground-breaking bestseller centers on the members of a book club and their struggles to understand themselves, one another, and the tumultuous world they live in. "A warm, evocative, often hilarious picture of society, culture, politics, and family life."--"Atlanta Constitution."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,355,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible