Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs

Magical Thinking (2004)

by Augusten Burroughs

3,362None1,610 (3.75)28
2006 (7) addiction (26) alcoholism (30) American (10) Augusten Burroughs (14) autobiography (54) Autobiography/Biography (7) biography (56) Burroughs (10) comedy (11) essay (12) essays (91) fiction (35) funny (9) gay (39) glbt (8) hardcover (9) homosexuality (12) humor (159) lgbt (9) memoir (341) non-fiction (183) own (12) queer (8) read (42) short stories (85) signed (9) stories (15) to-read (39) unread (30)
    Verlorne Unschuld by Andreas Marber (edwinbcn)
    Love Your Enemies by Nicola Barker (edwinbcn)
    edwinbcn: Hilarious stories: suppress your laughter or deal with people looking at you.

English (46)  Italian (2)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (50)
Either I've become a cranky, old woman, or this book is really terrible. I forced myself to read all of the essays in this book because reviewers from such notable newspapers as The New York Times and The Chicago Sun-Times have described other works by Augusten Burroughs with such words as "entertaining", great", "breathtaking", and "funny". I found no reason to laugh or smile throughout this book. Rather, I found this book lacked any grace. Additionally, I was offended by lines such as the following which others might have found entertaining:

"But Dennis and I will have none of this madness. Neither of us wants to accept the special challenges presented by a severely handicapped Romanian child or a baby who was born addicted to crack and has only half a head."

"After a year, my body was transformed. But only from Auschwitz into lean."

"When I get a craving for Nature, I turn on the Discovery channel and watch bear-attack survivors recount their horror and show the results of their reconstructive surgery."

I think I've had my fill of this author's crude attempts at humor. ( )
1 vote SqueakyChu | Feb 2, 2014 |
This is my favorite A.B. book! It's so funny! I love the stories about eBay, his watch, and his book collecting endeavors. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
Ok. I really, really wanted to like this book a lot. It was a quick, easy read: a compilation of snippets from the author's life and thoughts. A few of the stories unfolded nicely and others felt like Burroughs was trying a bit too hard to jar the reader. It reminded me of the kid who sticks a pencil in his nose to get everyone’s attention. Vanderbilt Genes and Telemarketing Revenge were two stories that were just right. For me, towards the end of the book it felt like a repeating merry-go-round of darkness that just wasn’t funny, interesting or engaging. ( )
  MichelleCH | Apr 5, 2013 |
There are few authors who can write autobiographically-based short stories and end with me desperately wanting to befriend them. Not that it would work...I'm a bit more enthusiastic than Augusten Burroughs might care to handle.

I'm starting to lose count of the number of times I've read this. ( )
  annmariestover | Apr 4, 2013 |
Transferring the books on my spreadsheet to Goodreads
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Magical thinking: A schizotypal personality disorder attributing to one's own actions something that had nothing to do with him or her and thus assuming that one has a greater influence over events than is actually the case.
For RobisonService.com
When I was seven, I was plucked from my uneventful life deep in darkest Massachusetts and dropped into a Tang Instant Breakfast Drink commercial.

First edition, first printing, flat signed by author, unread in fine condition

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312315953, Paperback)

It’s best to know this from the start: Augusten Burroughs is mean. Augusten Burroughs is also outrageously X-rated. If you can get past those two things, Burroughs might just be the most refreshing voice in American books today, and his collection of acerbic essays will have you laughing out loud even while cringing in your seat. Whether he is stepping on the fingers of little children or giving you the blow-by-blow on a very unholy act, Burroughs manages to do it in a way that fills conflicted fans with both horror and glee.

Spanning from the surprisingly Machiavellian portrayal of his role in a Tang commercial at age seven to his more recent foray into dog ownership, Burroughs has what seems to be an endless supply of offbeat life experiences. Much like earlier David Sedaris collections (Barrel Fever or Naked), there are occasional fits and starts in the flow of the writing, but ultimately, Magical Thinking is worth reading (and re-reading). If you’re familiar with Burroughs's memoirs, Running with Scissors, and Dry, you may find parts of Magical Thinking repetitive, since these essays bounce around in time between the other two. In fact, in an ideal world, this collection would have come first, as it offers an excellent introduction to Burroughs's fascinating life. --Vicky Griffith

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:47 -0400)

A collection of personal writings features observations on such topics as a contest of wills with a deranged cleaning lady, the emotional side of killing a rodent in one's home, and the brief fame that accompanies starring in a commercial.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible