Warleggan by Winston Graham

Warleggan (1953)

by Winston Graham

4291935,077 (4.09)1 / 85

I first became aware of Poldark back in 2015, when PBS brought this remarkable series back to the small screen. I, along with many others, became enraptured by the complexities of characters and plot. And it has been my absolute pleasure to read the books that coincide with the series. The first two books in the series, Ross Poldark and Demelza, go along with season one. Books three and four, Jeremy Poldark and Warleggan, go along with season two. The television series follows the book remarkably well. But of course, you get more details with the books and there are a few differences. I won't point them out so as not to spoil the book for anyone who has not read it yet.

Warleggan is the fourth book in the series. And if you've been keeping up you know that George Warleggan has made it his mission in life to see Ross fail, to bring the Poldark name crashing to the ground. And in this book it looks like he succeeds.

Francis and Ross have mended their broken relationship and things begin to look up for the Poldark family. Then in a tragic turn of events, Francis dies, leaving Elizabeth and Charles Jeffrey without a protector. Ross wants to take up that role, but this is dangerous ground since he's never really gotten over his love of Elizabeth. Not to mention George Warleggan sees an opportunity to secure Elizabeth for himself.

Demelza loves her husband, puts her absolute trust in him, but his relationship with Elizabeth has always been a sore spot. She flirts with a charming Scottish officer, I believe, in order to get Ross to notice her. Because for all his heroic qualities, Ross is an idiot when it comes to his relationship with Demelza. Then Ross commits an unforgivable act that hurts both Elizabeth and Demelza, and it forever drives a wedge between himself and Demelza. In retaliation, she ups her flirting game with the officer, and well, you'll have to read the book to find out what happens.

Meanwhile there are smugglers, parties, Caroline and Dr. Enys get a little more serious, trouble in the mines, success in the mines, and George Warleggan always making trouble for the Poldarks. One of the things that I love about these books are the characters are remarkable human. Meaning they aren't completely good and they aren't completely evil. They make tragic mistakes. They are driven by desire and emotion as well as logic and reasoning.

This really is an extraordinary series. And I'm so glad PBS does it justice. This is a series I highly recommend. There's a total of twelve books, and so far I've only read four. It makes me wonder what other catastrophes Winston Graham has in store for the Poldarks.

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2018/07/i-read-4th-book-in-poldark-saga-and.htm... ( )
  mt256 | Jul 11, 2018 |
The fourth book in the Poldark series is a runaway train. It takes all the impetus of motion created in the first three volumes and pushes it headlong down the track at a screaming pace. Fortunes change on a whim and evil prospers and ebbs and prospers again. I spent much of this volume holding my breath.

After losing Francis, the triangle of Ross, Elizabeth and Demelza reaches a fever pitch and Ross finds himself caught between his inability to give up his old, unfulfilled affections and his now too comfortable life with his wife. The results are a flurry of emotions that serve none of these characters well. I could not help casting back to poor Keren Daniels and thinking that what others deemed in a female a felonious crime is but a misdemeanor for the male population.

Meanwhile, the romance between Dwight and Caroline progresses as well, with a lovely edge that is both witty and romantic. I must confess to loving this couple and cringing at the idea that they will not have their own happy ending...but happiness can be an elusive thing in this 1790s world of Cornwall.

As the name suggests, we begin to see George come into his own and the Warleggans figure very prominent in Ross’ destiny. Up to this point, Ross has had the hatred of Cary, but George has been less vitriolic. No more. Now George’s real colors begin to show and the kind of hatred he spews is extreme and dangerous. By the end of this volume, the field is beginning to be evened by Ross’ success at Wheal Grace, and it leaves me in anticipation of how the fight may change now that Ross has some resources with which to counter-punch.

By this point in the story, I am totally committed to these characters and their fate. They are drawn with such detail that they have nuanced personalities and temperaments, and Graham happily keeps them to the standards that he set for them in the beginning. I find every action and word to be in keeping with what we already have been told about these people, and that is essential to my enjoyment of the story.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Excellent! This was by far the best book yet! This book had it all from failure, love, hate, financial ruin, redemption, etc.... The earlier books I thought the TV series was better, but I can't imagine it will be better than this wrenching book. ( )
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
A short review to say this is another amazingly well written Poldark series book. Even though I have kept up with the BBC series and essentially knew the plot, I still very much enjoyed the book. For series fans, my rating wasn't influenced by a specific event that occurs in the book. At least I tried to be keep it in perspective as a writing decision by Graham and an action taken by a fictional character, even if it wasn't to my liking. However, I was quite appalled during the tv series and somehow had to find a way not have misplaced bad feelings towards an actor (Aidan Turner) for months on end. I am looking forward to eventually reading the next book in the series, knowing Ross continues on with attempting to redeem himself. ( )
  Lisa805 | Nov 29, 2017 |
aka The Last Gamble

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 033034496X, Paperback)

Ross Poldark plunges into a speculative mining venture which threatens his financial security and his stormy marriage to Demelza. When the old attraction between Ross and Elizabeth begins to rekindle itself, Demelza retaliates by becoming dangerously involved with a Scottish cavalry officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

Ross plunges into a highly speculative mining venture which threatens not only his family's financial security but also his turbulent marriage to Demelza. When Ross and Elizabeth's old attraction rekindles itself, Demelza retaliates by becoming dangerously involved with a handsome Scottish cavalry officer. With bankruptcy an increasingly real possibility, the Poldarks seem to be facing disaster on all fronts.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible