Letters From Father Christmas (1976)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Other authors: Baillie Tolkien (Editor)

A collection of illustrated letters from Father Christmas recapping the activities of the preceding year at the North Pole. The letters were written by the author to his children.

English (55)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (59)
A beautiful book and a worthy slice of Tolkieniana, this volume reproduces letters that the author wrote to his children from Father Christmas. Over the years a repertory of characters – heroic, villainous, amusing – grows around the Christmas depot at the North Pole, and intricate tales are woven about battles between goblins, elves and snow boys. The comic North Polar Bear is a recurring and endearing character. What is most striking is the level of care and attention that Tolkien invested in each letter, writing in many colours in his immaculate Medieval-influenced script. Most years he also includes an elaborate illustration (in the style that will be familiar to all fans of Middle Earth). A treasure trove for fans of Tolkien and Christmas. ( )
  Lirmac | Jan 5, 2024 |
I loved the illustrations in this book, both the copies of the letters and the pictures that came with the letters. However, I felt a bit weird reading the letters themselves. These were written to the Tolkien children, and (unlike some books that were written for specific people) I don't think the intent upon writing them was to publish them for others to read. This book felt way too personal, almost like I was intruding on their lives. It was a fun read, but it's not going to become an annual tradition for me. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Dec 27, 2023 |
How did I miss this book as a holiday read? Heartfelt and heart-wrenching, Tolkien writes letters to his children as Father Christmas. His stories and illustrations are glorious and gloriously fun. The antics of Polar Bear are ingeniously drawn and told. If a lover of the TOY STORY movies, you will experience the wonderment and inevitable sadness as the children grow up. This will now be an annual read. ( )
  crabbyabbe | Dec 23, 2023 |
I'm sure these letters were epic for, and meant the world to, Tolkien's children, for whom they were written.

However, the stories were too short for me, cutting off right when they could have become interesting; and there were so many personal references to his kids and the letters they had sent to "Father Christmas," that I was disappointed with the collection. ( )
  RachelRachelRachel | Nov 21, 2023 |
I have been wanting to read this since a pastor mentioned it during a Christmas Eve service. Do I remember the context? No. And I still don't. But I did enjoy the magic of Father Christmas and the world the J.R.R Tolkien created for his children.

Truly I felt like I was taken into a fantasy land. (Albeit more Narnia than Middle Earth). The pictures, the calligraphy...all of it culminates in a final letter written. For the magic of Christmas...Father Christmas...has waned. Children have grown up. As we all do.

Thankfully the true meaning of Christmas, for me, grows as I get older. But for Audrey, all of it is just beginning. ( )
  msgabbythelibrarian | Jun 11, 2023 |

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, BaillieEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Figueroa, ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Can you imagine writing to Father Christmas and actually getting a reply?
Various editions of this book, some titled "Letters from Father Christmas" and some "The Father Christmas Letters",
offer significantly different selections from the letters and from Tolkien's illustrations. Most of these differences are explained here: https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co...

Charming letters and illustrations done by Tolkien to his children over a period of about 20 yrs.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,811,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible