Letters From Father Christmas (1976)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

A collection of illustrated letters from Father Christmas recapping the activities of the preceding year at the North Pole. The letters were written by the author to his children.

English (42)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (44)
During the time J.R.R. Tolkien's children were small, he would spend every Christmas Eve after they were tucked into bed creating a unique "Father Christmas" letter for them. The letter would consist of a story from Father Christmas at his North Pole residence that was hand-illustrated and often painted in watercolour, with a custom postage stamp, envelope, and "snow" that mysteriously fell out of the letter when opened. The Tolkien children would find the letter on Christmas morning between the years 1920 and 1942 and read about the exploits of the North Polar Bear, elven helpers, and mischievous goblins.

More an art book for adult JRRT fans (particularly parents) than a storybook, I smiled at the uniquely English whimsy and creativity of Tolkien's mind expressed in these letters. Through them the reader feels the love and affection he had for his children, as well as the joys and rewards of parenthood. A wonderful Christmas book for the family to enjoy. ( )
  wyclif | Sep 22, 2021 |
Winter 2020 (December);

Part of the round of this years' new seasonable classics.

I was so deeply delighted by this book.

I was sold the second I realized it was Tolkein writing to his ow children as Father Christmas every year as they were growing up. I was so deeply attached so quickly to the kind, compassionate, understanding voice of Father Christmas (as well as Polar Bear and our elf, both later on). I was poignant moved at each point where the letter's references which children were getting to old to write him, or to get stockings, and the one where his daughter had come into the world.

I'm so glad these were kept and that they were published. My heart was warmed all over by them. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
In true Tolkien form, this collection of annual Christmas letters to the Tolkien children starts off quite modestly with a few short notes from Father Christmas and the North Polar Bear but quickly expands to include goblins, elves, new languages and alphabets, and increasingly detailed lore. The original illustrations and handwritten letters that Tolkien created are magnificent, and seeing his yearly labor of love for his children touched my crotchety old heart. ( )
  Samantha_Quick | Jul 15, 2021 |
A delightful collection of letters written by J.R.R Tolkien, as Father Christmas (and sometimes as The North Polar Bear) to his children over the years. ( )
  KateOfTheDarkBrows | Jun 13, 2021 |

From 1920 to 1943, [a:J.R.R. Tolkien|656983|J.R.R. Tolkien|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1434625177p2/656983.jpg] wrote letters from Father Christmas for his four children, recounting his adventures in getting read for Christmas. As traditions between fathers and children go, this is wonderful. As reading goes, it is surprisingly good, considering he never apparently considered them himself for publication. I think this book would be best read to a child around that time of year, and in that situation could easily become something quite magical. For myself, the most remarkable part are the lovely ink and paint pictures made to go with the letters. It was quite sad to me that Tolkien's youngest child, Priscilla, outgrew the practice in 1943, while the war was still in full swing, as I somehow wanted closure to the troubles referred to in the letters, but that's just me. As I said, Tolkien never intended to publish them.

If you buy this title, make sure you get an edition that includes the drawings. This edition and a few others include copies of some of the handwritten letters as well, which was nice to see. ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, BaillieEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Can you imagine writing to Father Christmas and actually getting a reply?
Various editions of this book, some titled "Letters from Father Christmas" and some "The Father Christmas Letters",
offer significantly different selections from the letters and from Tolkien's illustrations. Most of these differences are explained here: https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co...

Charming letters and illustrations done by Tolkien to his children over a period of about 20 yrs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,592,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible