First Mothers: The Women Who Shaped the…

First Mothers: The Women Who Shaped the Presidents (2000)

by Bonnie Angelo

Explores the lives of the women who raised recent U.S. presidents: Sara Delano Roosevelt, and Ida Eisenhower through Barbara Bush. Examines the importance of the mother-son relationship in the Oval Office, through interviews with selected presidents as well as historians and scholars.

Unlike the other two reviewers commenting on this book, I neither found it silly or boring. I do agree with one of them: that it would be useful for teachers when discussing the Presidents with students in class and perhaps more teachers should have those kinds of discussions than apparently do. So many of our people know so little of most of the folk who have shaped the country. The book is not an earth-shattering treatise but it is interesting as anecdotal history and as a philosophical presentation of some of what has gone into making men into Presidents. ( )
  gmillar | Jun 20, 2015 |
This is a book about the presidents mothers. Each page has a different silly mini biography. Would be good when discussing presidents! Fun way to introduce biographies-- possibly have students do a follow up silly biography about their own mom
  kzilinskas | Nov 16, 2014 |
I found this book very slow and boring at times. I enjoy learning about history and even the presidents. This book was very long winded and I felt somethings were repeated over and over again.

The book starts out reading about Franklin Roosevelt and goes to George W. Bush. It seemed like all these presidents had very similar lives and yet different at the same time. Either they were poor or their mother was poor.

I probably wouldn't have read this book if it wasn't for my book club. ( )
  crazy4reading | Nov 13, 2014 |
To my Mother
Ethel Hudgins Angelo
To the Manner Born:

A Restless young Franklin Roosevelt, under strict quarantine for Scarlet Fever in the Groton School infirmary, was startled by the scraping sound against the red brick wall, followed by a gloved tap on the window - and then the apparition of his mother, the regal Sara Delano Roosevelt, peering into the room.
"If I were asked to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of America might be attributed, I should reply, To the superiority of their women."

Bonnie Angelo, a veteran reporter and writer for Time has captured the daily lives, thoughts, and feelings of the remarkable women who played such a large role in developing the characters of the modern American presidents. From formidably aristocratic Sara Delano Roosevelt to diehard Democrat Martha Truman, champion athlete Dorothy Bush, and hard-living Virginia Clinton Kelley, Angelo blends these women's stories with the texture of their lives and with colorful details of their times. First Mothers is an in-depth look at the special mother-son relationships that nurtured and helped propel the last twelve American presidents to the pinnacle of power.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible