The Wall

by Eve Bunting

Other authors: Ronald Himler (Illustrator)

1,20218612,327 (4.34)23
A boy and his father come from far away to visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington and find the name of the boy's grandfather, who was killed in the conflict.

The son and grandson of a fallen soldier visit the Vietnam Memorial to look for their soldier's name. The young boy notices the sadness of other memorial visitors and the mementos left to honor the dead. Some of the characters are dated now more than 30 years after the book's publication. However, many families still live with the effects of this war and books like this will help successive generations of children understand its lingering sadness. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jul 16, 2021 |
I recently used this book in a lesson about point-of-view - I first saw it online and it had good reviews. I went ahead and purchased it. My original intention was to only use a passage from it, but I ended up reading through the entire book. I found this book to be incredibly moving. When I was reading it, my eyes became very teary. I find stories about people's lives lost in wars to bring me a lot of sad emotions. It's easy for me to become sad for the people they left behind, and I think about what it would be like to lose someone close. I think this book is really good for children to read because, not only does it provide a lot of good information, it also helps illustrate the pain people feel from losing loved-one and the impact of wars on future generations. ( )
  ndavis17 | May 11, 2020 |
I truly loved this book. It connects a fictional story to historical elements while all making it realistic. This story is about a young boy who goes to a wall with his father. This wall is a memorial for veterans and it features many names on it. Here the boy learns about his grandfather, the war, and what it means to be a veteran. It is very descriptive and truly makes the reader feel as though they are on this journey also. It is a great read for all and brings some emotion. ( )
  hdadda1 | Mar 31, 2020 |
In Washington, DC, there is a wall, a testimony to the large number of people who died, or who were never found in their United States military served in Vietnam. Those men and women, and those missing in action have their name on a panel of the wall, listed in the year they died or were missing.

This is a story of a father who took his child to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. When they find his name, they take a piece of paper and rub the name onto the paper. This is also a journey of people they see at the wall who are crying, or like them, looking for the name of the person who died in that country in a war that so many thought was senseless.

No matter what the personal thoughts or feelings about this war, the wall reminds us that these people deserve to be honored. The wall is a healing place where many leave trinkets at the bottom of the panel listing the name of the loved one.

Thus, the wall was needed. It helped to heal a nation in grief. Stark in its presentation, the shiny black panels are different that a statue. The names give honor to those who did not make it home alive.

The teacher who brought her class that day told the class members that this was a wall for "all of us." ( )
  Whisper1 | Mar 21, 2020 |
Eve Bunting has a great way of evoking emotions and feelings through the use of simple text. Such a great picture book author, packing so much into a small book. I really loved the story and felt intimate to all of the characters. The illustrations compliment the story really well, giving off a more glum mood. This is overall an amazing book. ( )
  jahn4 | Mar 4, 2020 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I think this book is a good story, and brings a avenue for teachers to bring in this very real subject to light in a sensitive way. I think in the preschool classroom it would be a really good book for children that have expressed knowledge of war, and may be coping with loss, or, a parent that is actively serving. I also think the book could be used in a large group setting to bring awareness to the concepts of memorials to remember loves ones that have lost their life in war, but I think the teacher needs to make sure they present and reinforce information in a way that connects it their lives, and developmentally appropriate. Although some books are recommended for preschool age and up; I still think it is very important for the teacher to examine the needs of the children and adjust accordingly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,319,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible